Skip to main content
Topic: Re-mirror headlamp interior (Read 18667 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-mirror headlamp interior

Today for my bday i got together all the supplies to re-mirror the inside of my headlamps.

will post pics of the process , heading out to do some now.

Reply #2
finally headed down the road about 11pm, didnt get ohio cop'ed this time  LOL.

Reply #3
here you go guys,, have at it.  you get the idea.
pick up some flexible mirror from auto hole or where ever then sticky back it in place after you trim.

i had to heat up a finishing nail with a torch to cut the big bulb circle out.

Reply #4
Did it make a big improvement at night? I am sure it couldn't hurt. LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;398896
Did it make a big improvement at night? I am sure it couldn't hurt. LOL.

not sure yet,  just finishing

here is one with the lense

Reply #6
well, this sucks really bad.
dont do what i did.  Looks good , but light is not right.

I found the right stuff at lowes in the HVAC section where there is mirror finish 3m duct work tape.
You look into it and its like a mirror.
The reason i did not get it is because it said "3M" in red letters all over it.

I tried this flexible miorror stuff and it does not work, wrong geometry for the way the housing is shaped.  lots of concave and curves going on to replicate with a flat mirror and shaped like i did.  Miorror tape will be the only fix to the original chrome interior or ... get em re-chromed.

I will try to find some mirror finish metal tape instead.

Reply #7
Have you thought about a nice set of the Lincoln headlights that swap over to the Cougar? I see them quite often on Ebay.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
Quote from: vinnietbird;398923
Have you thought about a nice set of the Lincoln headlights that swap over to the Cougar? I see them quite often on Ebay.

Can you provide a link to the ones you are referring to?  As far as I know, these aero headlamps are the same for Cougars, 'Birds and Lincoln LSCs.  If there is a source for another lamp assembly, it might be well worth looking into, seeing as these are getting awfully difficult to locate.

Reply #9
the aero bird headlights are close but not a fit. the inner angles of them are a bit different /end hijack

Reply #11
The Thunderbird has lights unique to themselves, as does the Mark VII. The Cougar actually shares it's lights with one model of Lincoln. As shown below......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-PAIR-Lincoln-Continental-Mercury-Cougar-87-88-Headlight-Lens-OEM-89-94-/261097145780?fits=Model:Cougar&hash=item3cca9a45b4&item=261097145780&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Now, this is a bit of cash, but, it's an example. I se them cheaper, and at most yards I go to. For some reason, the Lincoln lights I see aren't yellowed as often as the Cougar's.

Another example....and remember, there are dozens of lights all over ebay for the Lincolns......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-90-91-92-93-94-LINCOLN-CONTINENTAL-RH-HEADLIGHT-HEADLAMP-NEW-OEM-Socal-Parts-/290770960403?fits=Year:1989|Make:Lincoln|Model:Continental&hash=item43b34cc013&item=290770960403&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Reply #12
I wish Thunderbird headlights were that easy to find.

Reply #13
I got a set a year ago off ebay.

I just need the  outer marker lenses.
Mike

Reply #14
well, this is interesting and redundunt............

here is a tip on clearing the lenses.
I sand the lense with 3000grit foam pad they sell at auto parts places.
I then use a foam brush and paint on min wax polyurethane.
it looks good when brushed on but  i learned something last night.
When the poly is almost dry, use a heat gun and get the whole lense really "warm" and watch the whole thing clear up even more.

back to the pics..... this is a lense from the 4eyed cars that fits right in the lense holder...interesting but im not going this route.
this is like a headlamp inside a headlamp
just tinkering around for now.