Skip to main content
Topic: Size on speaker holes in door (Read 3247 times) previous topic - next topic

Size on speaker holes in door

What is the size of the holes for speakers in door T-bird 88?
And what is the maximum depth of speaker you can use without interfere with anything?

If possible I dont want to cut in doors, but most likely going to buy 6.5 inch speakers.

Thanks
Thomas

Reply #1
6.5 inch diameter speakers fit fine. Depth is what you have to worry about.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
If I remember correct you have Polk 650?
And you didnt need to cut n doors?
Polk 650 has a depth of 2 inches, was there much room left? (If you remember)

Thougt I wold get an answer from you.
Thanks

Reply #3
Quote from: Sport26;465147
If I remember correct you have Polk 650?
And you didnt need to cut n doors?
Polk 650 has a depth of 2 inches, was there much room left? (If you remember)

Thougt I wold get an answer from you.
Thanks

I do have the Polk 650s. No door modifications necessary. The Polk 650s literally bolted right in. They fit fine and there was some room left behind them. At least 1/2 inch or so, if I remember correctly.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
thunderjet302,
On an '86 Cougar GS, there are no factory speakers in the doors, right?  Just in the dash and in the rear deck?  To install speakers in the doors, I'd have to cut holes in my door panels, correct?  So did the LS's and T-bird LX's come with 6 speakers (dash, door, rear deck)?  Thanks.

Reply #5
Quote from: fordman3;466407
thunderjet302,
On an '86 Cougar GS, there are no factory speakers in the doors, right?  Just in the dash and in the rear deck?  To install speakers in the doors, I'd have to cut holes in my door panels, correct?  So did the LS's and T-bird LX's come with 6 speakers (dash, door, rear deck)?  Thanks.

If the car was ordered with premium sound then it had 6 speakers. Two in the dash, two in the doors, two in the rear deck. The door itself has holes for the speakers. You would have to cut the door panels for speaker holes if your car did not have door speakers from the factory.

Reply #6
Every car I've had "without door speakers" actually had them in there, just either not hooked up or no wiring run to them.

The regular door panels have holes for sound to pass through even if there doesn't appear to be any grill.

My $.02, pop the door panel off and throw them in. Worst case, you will be running wires up to the dash speakers.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
My car is an '85 GS ... when you remove the interior panels, the door will have holes to accept speakers and the wiring should be there.

You can use something like this: https://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Ford-Aerostar-1986-1991-Factory-Speaker-Replacement-Connector-Harness-Kit-HA-725510-15?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseFeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwLeoh_if3AIVwR6GCh1PNgGNEAQYAyABEgJcVPD_BwE

These will go from the speakers to the factory wiring harness clip in the door.  In all the car's I've taken apart, I don't think I've come across one that didn't have the wiring there ... but I'm sure they probably exist ... maybe a car without power windows, locks, etc. wouldn't have the wiring.

Reply #8
Quote from: Haystack;466411
Every car I've had "without door speakers" actually had them in there, just either not hooked up or no wiring run to them.

The regular door panels have holes for sound to pass through even if there doesn't appear to be any grill.

My $.02, pop the door panel off and throw them in. Worst case, you will be running wires up to the dash speakers.

So it's been the opposite for me. The non-premium sound cars I've owned had no speakers, but had the wiring.
It's Gumby's fault.