Skip to main content
Topic: Throttle to gas pedal cable (Read 6294 times) previous topic - next topic

Throttle to gas pedal cable

Anyone know if this is the same for all foxbody cars?
Mine's stretching out pretty good.  Rigged it with a couple of zip ties to make it tight about 10 years ago.  It's gotten worse and I'd rather change it out than add another 2 zip ties at this point.  It still will give full range motion on the throttle body, but who knows for how long....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
Fox Cougars and T-Birds have the same 5.0 setup, gas pedal, and firewall as a Fox Mustang...it *should* be the same throttle cable.

Reply #2
DO NOT get the aftermarket ones.  The manufacturer is Pioneer and thought it functions correctly it will only open the TB about 75% due to a flaw in the design.  Late Model Restoration (5.0 Resto) has them on their site but does not stock them anymore for this reason.  I ordered one from another vendor and sure enough it only opened the TB on my Coupe 75%.  I looked at modifying it but it was just about  near impossible.  Finding and OEM used cable that is in good or better shape is getting about impossible and if you can locate one people know it and want a mint.  If you have access to a salvage yard I would try a couple to see if you can get lucky.

One solution that most of the 86-93 Fox Mustang guys are doing is using the Lokor cable (P/N TC-1000HT).  Some make it work with the stock throttle cable bracket and other buy Lokar's bracket (P/N TCB-40EFI).  This is from a tech at Lokar:

[COLOR="#0000FF"]The TC-1000HT will fit the 1986 - 1993 EFI's.  This cable will snap onto the ball you have now. The u-shaped clevis with the roll pin will actually remove from the cable. Replace it with the stock plastic retainer from your original cable.[/COLOR]

Hope that helps.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
Good to know.  Anyone know the stick part # for the 87-up?
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
Do you mean the part number for the throttle cable for a manual shift 87-up 5.0 Mustang?

Reply #5
Auto....

Reply #6
Found the info I was looking for: 

http://forums.tccoa.com/8-engine-5-0l-5-8l/140234-will-mustang-accelerator-cable-fit-1988-tbird.html#post1440510

The following vehicles use the same Throttle Accelerator cable:

1986-1993 5.0 Mustang
1986-1988 5.0 Thunderbird/Cougar
1986-1992 Lincoln Mark VII

Ford part number: E6SZ-9A758-A

Of course it's an obsolete part.  My hunt begins....

The thread on TCCOA states that the Pioneer part # is incorrect (PIONEER CA9033).... Advance Auto carries it and lists it at 30.5" as does Rockauto and just about every Amazon/Ebay link I could find.  A local Advance has it in stock.  Might have to take a drive and look at it.

Reply #7
Quote from: Aerocoupe;457154
DO NOT get the aftermarket ones.  The manufacturer is Pioneer and thought it functions correctly it will only open the TB about 75% due to a flaw in the design.  Late Model Restoration (5.0 Resto) has them on their site but does not stock them anymore for this reason.  I ordered one from another vendor and sure enough it only opened the TB on my Coupe 75%.  I looked at modifying it but it was just about  near impossible.  Finding and OEM used cable that is in good or better shape is getting about impossible and if you can locate one people know it and want a mint.  If you have access to a salvage yard I would try a couple to see if you can get lucky.

One solution that most of the 86-93 Fox Mustang guys are doing is using the Lokor cable (P/N TC-1000HT).  Some make it work with the stock throttle cable bracket and other buy Lokar's bracket (P/N TCB-40EFI).  This is from a tech at Lokar:

[COLOR="#0000FF"]The TC-1000HT will fit the 1986 - 1993 EFI's.  This cable will snap onto the ball you have now. The u-shaped clevis with the roll pin will actually remove from the cable. Replace it with the stock plastic retainer from your original cable.[/COLOR]

Hope that helps.

Quote from: V8Demon;457163
Found the info I was looking for: 

http://forums.tccoa.com/8-engine-5-0l-5-8l/140234-will-mustang-accelerator-cable-fit-1988-tbird.html#post1440510

Of course it's an obsolete part.  My hunt begins....

The thread on TCCOA states that the Pioneer part # is incorrect (PIONEER CA9033).... Advance Auto carries it and lists it at 30.5" as does Rockauto and just about every Amazon/Ebay link I could find.  A local Advance has it in stock.  Might have to take a drive and look at it.

Fun little FYI:

About 8 years ago I bought a NOS throttle cable for a 89 Lincoln Mark VII (because it's the same as our cars). It had a date code on the bag for 2002. It was that  Pioneer cable that won't open the throttle all the way. If you're hunting for a NOS piece make sure it's a really old NOS piece (i.e. made in the 90's or before).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
That CA-9003 is the same part number I got a couple months back and it is the exact same length as the one on my Coupe but would only open the throttle body 75%.  You can buy it from OReillys as seen here:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PIO0/CA9033.oap?year=1993&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1134111&ck=Search_ca-9033_1134111_2075&keyword=ca-9033

And I dug up this old thread which has the correct part numbers which are identical to a Mustang auto/manual part numbers.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?16386-Where-do-I-get-a-new-throttle-cable/page2

Reply #9
The one I bought was a Pioneer cable in a sealed "Ford Service Parts" bag. Go figure.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
Sounds like they took over the contract for cables at the end of the run.

There's also another brand I see.  ACP or some such.  ** Found it ATP part # Y-1303.  Says their cable is 36", about 5 longer than stock.

Reply #11
5" longer might be an issue. There might be too much slack.

Your best bet is probably a Lokar cable or a used one from a junk yard. I think I have two spare junk yard cables in my stash of parts. I'll check tonight if you want.

Reply #12
That'd be great!  Thanks ��

Reply #13
Turns out I just have that Ford packaged Pioneer cable I bought several years ago unfortunately.

Re: Throttle to gas pedal cable

Reply #14

Reply #8 – September 20, 2016, 04:30:36 PM

That CA-9003 is the same part number I got a couple months back and it is the exact same length as the one on my Coupe but would only open the throttle body 75%.  You can buy it from OReillys as seen here:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PIO0/CA9033.oap?year=1993&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1134111&ck=Search_ca-9033_1134111_2075&keyword=ca-9033

And I dug up this old thread which has the correct part numbers which are identical to a Mustang auto/manual part numbers.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?16386-Where-do-I-get-a-new-throttle-cable/page2

This link is dead, what are the correct part numbers for a 5.0 Auto throttle cable?
Mike