Skip to main content
Topic: *PICS* Just finished 351W swap...PICS ADDED!!!! (Read 15389 times) previous topic - next topic

*PICS* Just finished 351W swap...PICS ADDED!!!!

Spent Saturday night pulling the old engine, only took about 3 1/2 hours from start to finish.  We got the 351W in on Sunday, and after wrestling the T-5 back into place around 5:30-6pm I was spent...that and the front sump of the pan washiznitting the front sway bar...bad.  Monday morning, I unbolted the sway bar brackets and let it hang.  I was then able lift the T-5 high enough to put the crossmember back under.

It's actually a pretty straight forward swap, especially if keeping EFI.  My 351 has a Crane Cam, Powermax 2030 grind, part # 444232.  It's got .448/.464" lift and 268*/276* duration.  I'm running ported GT-40 irons(milled down to 59.2cc), BBK shorty 351W headers, a truck/van lower intake which has been heavily ported, a BC Broncos intake adapter(ported also), and a stock HO upper plenum...I'm running 19lb injectors and a DA1 ECM. 

The car runs amazingly nice, absolutely zero drivability issues...a slight lope through the exhaust and a little rich when initially toe'ing into the throttle.  I haven't hammered on it yet, but did make a short full throttle run in 2nd gear from 20-45mph...even with the 2.73 rear gears, it happened QUICK.  The thing pulls like a freight train at lower RPM...I'm sure that's all thanks to a super restricted intake and exhaust...unfortunately, that's what'll keep this set-up from reaching it's full potential past 3500. 

I don't NEED a tune, but it's probably not a good idea to try runnning past 3500 full throttle without it...I have a set of 24lb injectors on the way and I'd like to save up to get a good safe tune on it. 

Oh, and the stock hood fits fine with the addition of washers between the hinges and hood, all wiring fit nicely, hoses fit pretty well, but the heater core hoses took a good bit of tpuppies to get right...I'll have to try and get some pics together.

-Don :burnout:
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #1
the stock hood fits fine with the addition of washers between the hinges and hood

Hmm.  If you could include a pic of this I would appreciate it!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
Nice work !! Pics would be great.I am still thinking about a 5.8 swap.I'm just not sure.Probably not until I get another daily driver.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
The washers raise the back of the hood about 1/2"-3/4"...I may be removing some as there is plenty of clearance as-is...I do need to get pictures...you can all get a chuckle out of the stock SO beauty plate on the HO upper...lol.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Reply #4
I was having some problems early last night keeping it cool...with a 180* t-stat, it would idle around 190-195* with the E-fan running continuously...any load would cause the temp to rise up to about 210* and after letting it idle, it would come back down to about 195*....I flushed the coolant, didn't do much good, but while doing that, I did notice my fan controller was going south on me...I swapped the stock clutch fan back on and it'll run 190*-195* all day long, even with a little abuse thrown in the mix.

Reply #5
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;275693
I was having some problems early last night keeping it cool...with a 180* t-stat, it would idle around 190-195* with the E-fan running continuously...any load would cause the temp to rise up to about 210* and after letting it idle, it would come back down to about 195*....I flushed the coolant, didn't do much good, but while doing that, I did notice my fan controller was going south on me...I swapped the stock clutch fan back on and it'll run 190*-195* all day long, even with a little abuse thrown in the mix.

I use to keep a clutch fan and shroud in my trunk of the old tbird. Came in handy one day :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
I've got a 5.0 Mustang Police Interceptor fan clutch on mine. Works fine and with the 180* t-stat it runs about 190*-195* even in traffic with the A/C on :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Quote from: Bob;275697
I use to keep a clutch fan and shroud in my trunk of the old tbird. Came in handy one day :)

That's exactly where mine was...lol.  I'm gonna try to get some pics up this weekend if I can get one of my buddies to remember his digital camera...

I really gotta pull a couple plugs and see how they look, I think it's running pretty rich...that was kinda to be expected at lower RPM's...I'm still goin' nuts trying to find my fuel pressure gauge, I just had it!

I've got the timing set to a conservative 6-7* base and I'm running 89 octane in it...pings just a little if you goose the throttle hard, but rollin' into the throttle, it just plain goes...maybe I should loosen some rockers and tell people I did a spoogemins swap! lol, j/k

I'm gonna try to see about getting a cheesey A/F gauge because a wideband is currrently out of my price range...I know it's not going to be very accurate, but hopefully it'll at least give me an idea.  I'll try to keep updates coming.

-Don

Reply #8
Thread needs pictures!
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #9
Quote from: Seek;275803
Thread needs pictures!

Fer s!!! :hick:

Reply #10
What oil pan did you use. We did a 351 swap last summer and had clearance issues with a van/4X4 oil pan. Replaced it with a Ford Motorsports pan and all was right.
Roger

Reply #11
Sounds really lean,the 19lb injectors are not near enough.
Should be at least 24lb.
You upper intake is very restrictive for a 351 as well.
It should not ping at 6-7deg timing,your timing should be up around 10 base and 13-14 for performance.
More than likely your leaning it out,therefore it's running hot and pinging(high combustion temps).
Also what fuel pump are you running,the stock bird pump is not even sufficent for an HO let alone a 351.

Reply #12
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;275590

Oh, and the stock hood fits fine with the addition of washers between the hinges and hood.  :burnout:

Is your hood gap more than ours? see pic...

I just loosened up the hinge bolts at the fender and pulled up on the hinge and re-tightened.

Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #13
Quote from: badbird84;275835
What oil pan did you use. We did a 351 swap last summer and had clearance issues with a van/4X4 oil pan. Replaced it with a Ford Motorsports pan and all was right.
Roger

Roger: That van pan is a center sump. Crown Vics were the only cars with the rear sump 351w (same as Ford Racing)
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #14
Quick question, why didn't you go with Mass Air?  Wouldn't that be able to adapt to the displacement change alot better than the SD?
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.