Skip to main content
Topic: Straight 6 swap? (Read 4882 times) previous topic - next topic

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #15
Nice thing about the 200 & 250 is they have seven main bearings...

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #16
Quote from: gumby;276223
seems that way, dont it?
one of us should clean that head though......:rollin:

Yeah, you guys are slackin' :beatyoass:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #17
Quote from: Chuck W;276228
Yeah, you guys are slackin' :beatyoass:

I stopped being a shop gofer 40 years ago, you'll have to find some one else...

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #18
I still plan to go through with the swap. If the car goes anywhere its going to my some, I never really look to make money on things. I just enjoy having them while they are around. Next week all of the main components of the swap will be coming home. Getting everything from a Fairmont.

I have done hours of planning a research long before I made my first post. I'm confident in what I am going to do. I've got the build planned out in my head, even a nice little mental picture of what I want the car to look like. One of the few times the whole project has come together nicely in my brain.

While I am very much a Cougar/T-bird nut, I am also a big fan of BMW. Being as the 80's 3 series is a big inspiration for this project. I'll throw up some pics as soon as I can if ya'll are interested. Thanks for the help btw.

Peace,
Dan
87' Mercury Cougar XR-7 5.0/AOD (DD)
85' Mercury Cougar GS 3.8/3-spd (project)

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #19
Quote from: bhazard;276085
Dont look for *ANY* power unless you find an aussie head for it. Our heads have the intake/exhaust manifolds cast right into the head. And they are TINY. Engines were made for everything BUT power.

Quote from: Chuck W;276214

No mods have been done yet, and the head is just sitting on the engine for storage at the moment, but I see no issues in the mods required to make it work.

The BIG expense, since I want to turbo it, is forged pistons...$700-800 for a set.

you dont need an aussie head for the ford six to make power these days, and you dont need to make mods to the block and aussie crossflow head either, check out http://www.classicinlines.com and look at their aluminum head. it was designed to handle 400 normally aspirated horsepower, if you can make a 200 put out 2 hp per ci. mike has a few intakes for this head as well including a 4bbl intake a 2bbl intake and an efi intake, with others in the works. mike also carries a line of clay smith cams, and is willing to get clay smith to custom grind cams for little or no extra cost. mike also has a double roler timing chain set for the 200, as well as many other parts. check out theat site as well as the forums at http://www.fordsix.com lots of good information there in both the forums and the tech section including the required mods to install the aussie crossflow head on a US block.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

yeah though i drive through the valley of rice

i shall fear no turbo for torque art with me

thy rod and thy piston they comfort me

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #20
Quote from: rbohm;277325
you dont need an aussie head for the ford six to make power these days, and you dont need to make mods to the block and aussie crossflow head either, check out http://www.classicinlines.com and look at their aluminum head. it was designed to handle 400 normally aspirated horsepower, if you can make a 200 put out 2 hp per ci. mike has a few intakes for this head as well including a 4bbl intake a 2bbl intake and an efi intake, with others in the works. mike also carries a line of clay smith cams, and is willing to get clay smith to custom grind cams for little or no extra cost. mike also has a double roler timing chain set for the 200, as well as many other parts. check out theat site as well as the forums at http://www.fordsix.com lots of good information there in both the forums and the tech section including the required mods to install the aussie crossflow head on a US block.

Uh, yeah...no.  Not for $1,500+.  The mods are minimal and I have parts sitting here.  I will most likely be hitting them up for forged pistons though.

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #21
Agreed.  Looks great in theory, as I've read those threads, but the cost would get you a V8 in there just as well.  Some work and the Aussie crossflow should work.  I'm waiting patiently to live vicariously through Chuck :D
1987 TC

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #22
i understand about the cost of the head, it isnt a high volume head like small block chevy or ford heads are. and since you already have the crossflow head, then use it. it is a good head. that said most people dont have the wherewithal, or the needed skills to adapt the crossflow head to the US block, and the heads are getting harder to find. try finding an aussie 250 2v head which would be a direct bolt on to the US block, and would accept the intake and exhaust that mike sells. anther alternative is the argentine head, but you need the intake and exhaust manifolds that go with the head as they will not interchange with the US/aussie heads.

be sure to check out the tech articles on adapting the crossflow head to the US block if you havent already. jack(mustangsix) has already done the conversion and it does run quite well, be even he says he doubts he would do it again. and remember that you will have to source the cam from australia because no one here in the US sells crossflow cams.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #23
Yeah, I'm aware of a few of the parts I need to source from OZ, but in the grand scheme of things, that is a non-issue.  I have a couple more possible contacts in OZ for corralling parts, so that should help.

I also have an intake and fuel rail (that TB EFI does NOT appeal to me in the least) and I plan on building an exhaust manifold as I plan on hanging a turbo off it.

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #24
Quote from: Chuck W;277430
Yeah, I'm aware of a few of the parts I need to source from OZ, but in the grand scheme of things, that is a non-issue.  I have a couple more possible contacts in OZ for corralling parts, so that should help.

I also have an intake and fuel rail (that TB EFI does NOT appeal to me in the least) and I plan on building an exhaust manifold as I plan on hanging a turbo off it.

sounds like you have it handled. i think you will like the end result.:cheers:
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #25
Any progress, Chuck?  I'm starting to think about this for my Fairlane.
1987 TC

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #26
Quote from: HAVI;300777
Any progress, Chuck? I'm starting to think about this for my Fairlane.

Gee Scott, you really do have automotive ADD, flathead truck, Turbo Coupe, Fairlane, plus your house.... I think you need a couple more projects. :D
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Straight 6 swap?

Reply #27
Try convincing my wife of that, lol.
1987 TC