Skip to main content
Topic: Gas Tank Straps (Read 2346 times) previous topic - next topic

Gas Tank Straps

I believe i have a question that has *NEVER* been asked.

i am replacing my 6 or so inch deep 19gal fuel tank with a new 9 or so inch deep 22gal version.

will my original fuel tank straps work?

i am going to dig through my shop manuals to see if there is a hint about 2 different part numbers

Gas Tank Straps

Reply #1
If I remeber correctly they are different. When my buddy had his 87 tbird the guy told him he had to replace them and the ones he got didnt fit. However, I also told him to order everything for a mustang gt when we did his fuel pump.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Gas Tank Straps

Reply #2
From my reading, all 86-88 cars had the same 22.1 gallon tank, except the turbo cars.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Gas Tank Straps

Reply #3
Just want to clarify something if possible.  From what I know the 19 gallon tank is 8-3/4" deep and the 22 gallon is 9-3/4" deep and they use the same straps.  The 83-85 cars have 34" long by 1.25" wide straps and the 86-88 cars have 34-7/8" long by 1.25" wide straps.  I am not saying my info is 100% correct but I am pretty sure it is.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Gas Tank Straps

Reply #4
my chassis 3.8L original tank is about 7'' deep.  the new tanks "aka" 22gal from rock auto is 9'' or so deep.

Gas Tank Straps

Reply #5
Quote from: Aerocoupe;458456
Just want to clarify something if possible.  From what I know the 19 gallon tank is 8-3/4" deep and the 22 gallon is 9-3/4" deep and they use the same straps.  The 83-85 cars have 34" long by 1.25" wide straps and the 86-88 cars have 34-7/8" long by 1.25" wide straps.  I am not saying my info is 100% correct but I am pretty sure it is.

6 3/4'' for 19gal
9 3/4'' for 22gal,,

give or take 1/4'' i suspect based on supplier

i suspect what i will find later today is my straps are too short.

Gas Tank Straps

Reply #6
I have straps and the plastic tank protector from an 87 Turbo Coupe. I don't know if those are the correct sizes you are looking for.

Gas Tank Straps

Reply #7
Okay, is your fuel pump up on your engine?  If so the tank that comes on those cars is shallow which would make sense.  The cars that have intank pumps are deeper so that means you will need the longer straps.  This site shows really good dimensions on the different tanks offered with our cars:

http://www.gastanks.com/Thunderbird/products/74/

You can get the straps new at OReillys or Autozone.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Gas Tank Straps

Reply #8
I have straps and and a protector out of a 84 tbird if interested