Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel injector retainer? (Read 3543 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel injector retainer?

That 83 T-Bird I'm working on has some issues in the throttle body, it's a 5.0 car by the way. I took the throttle body apart and noticed a visible line on the area of the fuel injector pod retainer where the retaining screw goes through. I assumed it was just a parting line or something but it was a crack. It cracked in two. There was another throttle body, disassembled in a box in the trunk and it's retainer was also snapped in two. From this I can only assume it's a common issue or they're just really easy to break.

The question, is, where do I get one? I've called all the junk yard sources I have and nobody's got one. I was hoping that maybe one of you guys had an extra you would be willing to sell or a source where I can buy one or two. What a design huh? You can't tighten the retaining screw all the way or it breaks but you have to have the pod all the way into the little fuel rail. Talk about finding a happy medium huh? LOL

I could really use some help on this, the  car's been here for over a month with all the other work I've done to it and now it's held up over one stupid little part in the TB.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Fuel injector retainer?

Reply #1
call me this week sometime,,, 304 772 3411
I have a couple CFI's taken apart and I know I can help,, im 95% sure.

Fuel injector retainer?

Reply #2
Excellent! Thank you! I'll call you Thursday around noon EST if that's ok with you.

Thanks again,

Wayne

Fuel injector retainer?

Reply #4
yes I did! Thank so much and sorry I didn't let you know sooner. I was really busy there for a while and between all the work and the cold snap I've been down a couple of days either sick or just burned out. That's exactly what I needed and the owner of the car couldn't be happier.

What do you think about this, I was thinking about how not to break another one by leaving it just snug. Not so tight that the part might crack but tight enough to say in there. I was thing of some thread locker I picked up by mistake. It's blue but weaker than typical blue. I'm thinking it's intended more as a thread sealer than a locker but should do nicely for this application. What do you think about that?

Wayne

Fuel injector retainer?

Reply #5
hum,, I heard you mention that on the phone then it occurred to me that ,, what I didn't tell you is that on my old v6, I never re-installed the retainer.

I tied mine back in.. doing a "bundle stitch knot" looping around the injector connector and then up around the top of the CFI injector socket so to speak.

yes I just said I tied mine back in using something called "Lacing Chord",, google it but you will get it, wax coated 12 chord used in telecommunications.

this way I could always remove and clean and reinstall easy with little or no work,,, they never leaked.

Remember to get that injector screen out and toss them,, just change your fuel filter often and it will be ok.

that retainer you have now is likely the result of my not putting it back on,, because like you I think I did break one myself.  that retainer could be made out of a stamped out piece of steel instead of molded aluminum.

Fuel injector retainer?

Reply #6
Yea, kinda of a py design huh? I would have gotten fired if I had designed something so chitty when I was a tool designer. But then again part design is a whole different world. In part design all they have to achieve is a short amount of life until it's down the road and hopefully they can avoid a recall. A stamped piece would be maybe 40 times more stable, strong and, in reality, could made from stock so thin it really wouldn't weigh enough more to be of any consequences. Possibly even of equal weight. But then again, I think like a tool designer where longevity is key. The odd thing is the cost per unit would actually be cheaper I would think. I like the idea of strapping it into place for ease of serviceability down the road. BUT, in this case, not being my car, I think it would be best to use the retainer. I will remove that mesh "filter" deal though, that's just foolish. Refresh my memory, you said to use a machine screw like a tap, thread it into the brass or bronze ring at the top of the screen mesh and c00ch it out? Or did you say to use a pointed screw and thread it into the mesh and pull it out? How tight are they in there anyway? If they're in there fairly tight then the machine screw deal would probably be the only way to go.

I can't thank you enough for how helpful you've been. I was sure to convey that to the owner of the car. It's nice to look like "the smart guy that figured it out" but I have no problem with giving credit where it's due. Having never worked on one of these types of throttle systems I was a bit lost.

Wayne

Fuel injector retainer?

Reply #7
late reply here,

yes, start a screw in the top of the injector, then with pliers yank out the injector screen.
if you want replace with new

this cured the old common bitch people complained about called "hesitation" off the line back when I was a 6cly

Fuel injector retainer?

Reply #8
and if you remember, the fuel pres regulator is on top of the cfi.

there is a  plug in the top and when removed it reveals an allen screw to adjust the fuel pressure.