Skip to main content
Topic: 4 to 5 lug swap (Read 20672 times) previous topic - next topic

4 to 5 lug swap

ok so first off hi my names Brian i'm new to this site and have a 86 Thunderbird with a 3.8 v6. what i would like to do is swap from 4 lug to 5 lug and was wondering what i'd need to do and whats the least expensive or best way to go, i say least expensive because i am a collage student and don't have lots of funds laying around haha so i wouldn't mind going to the junk and piecing it together or saving up for maybe a kit any info would help me out thanks :D

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #1
welcome..... have you done a search? there's lots of info on here to be found.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #2
Give me your car. I'll give you a cool Mustang that (most) everyone wants...cauz Mustangs R teh cooool. ;)

Yeah,  :jerry:
:rollin:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #3
@ daminc ive seen alot of posts but im still not clear on it all. i need some one to giive me a run down of like the parts list i would need like what i would need or look for at the junk or online

and @ ThunderbirdSport302 na im good haha i like my thunderchicken hahaha

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #4
http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/4to5lug.html

Basically the same as any other mustang, as long as you remember axles are slightly wider on our cars.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #5
for my 5 lug swap..I used '94-'95 spindles that a guy here got for me (Thanks Vinnie!), struts from I think the same car (bought them earlier, thanks again Vinnie!) and then I sourced locally the calipers, pads and new rotors.

For the rear (still waiting to get the stuff) I'm going to use Mark VII axles and the brake parts from that. One can use 2 passenger Ranger axles, but then you'll have a narrower track width than before. The Ranger axles work better for Mustangs as the width before and after is very similar. The mark 7 setup is a hair wider than a stock '86-'88 Tbird setup, so that's why I'm going that route. I want the same size wheels with the same backspacing at all corners.

Now keep in mind, you CAN use the 94-'98 Mustang axles, as well as the Ranger stuff, and use wheels with less backspace to make up the difference, at the cost of not being able to rotate tires from front to rear....

Also the '94-'98 Stangs only have solid rotors...the Mark 7 has vented. (rears)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #6
You can run wheel spacers on the rear to be able to rotate tires.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #7
True enough...but...

Quote from: TOM Renzo;378369
Wheel spacers ????????????????? I would avoid that at all costs!!!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #8
Wh
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #9
Folks have over-looked the fact that he has an '86 with the odd-ball (wider) 7.5 housing.  I don't think anyone has posted up a 5-lug drum brake solution for one of those yet. (He said he was looking for "cheap", so the assumption is that a rear disc conversion is out)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #10
You're right, Chuck. Perhaps I need to look at the axle/rear end chart again to refresh my memory. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #11
well if i can piece it together with time i would go with disk all around and just get it together little by little. but will my rear have to be different or can i go with mark vii's like ThunderbirdSport302?

and also thanks every one for helping me out really appreciate it.

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #12
Mark 7 is about 3/4" wider then your rear end. If you want to put wider tires on it later, they will be very close to the fender lip. The 94-98 mustang rear is the same between v-6 and gt models, and is very close in length, and basically should bolt in other then brake line adaptars. The 99-04's were even wider, and probably similar length to the mark7 rear.

I have heard the 90-95 explorers had 9 and 10" drum s in 5 lug, that had a wider hat then the rangers, but I still haven't seen mesurments.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #13
so i can go with lets say 95 mustang parts all around an it would pretty much bolt right in? if i use 95 rear axles will they still stick out alot or are they closer to what i have now?

4 to 5 lug swap

Reply #14
'95 stuff would do good...the rears wouldn't be at all stuck out like you see on the late 80's Chevy 4x4's...

If you have the funds, throw in a set of 3.55 or even 3.73 gears in that punkin before you put it all in...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6