Skip to main content
Topic: Vintage audio gear (Read 2607 times) previous topic - next topic

Vintage audio gear

My girlfriends parents had a moisture issue in their basp00get, and I "rescued" their vintage audio gear. Most of the stuff has something wrong with it, but I'm hoping it can be repaired.

Her father was in the army in the 70's, and that is when the receiver, tape HK tape deck and turn table was purchased.

The receiver is a Kenwood Eleven. Apparently these were only available on military bases. I didn't spend much time trying to mess with it, but it does power up, the dials all seem to work, but there is no backlighting. This thing is HEAVY.

The tape deck is a Harmon/Kardon HK2000. He told me that it was top of the line when he bought it. As far as I know, it works. I do know the dials illuminated but I didn't hook anything up to test. It desperately needs to be cleaned.

The turn table is a Dual 701. After a little research, it appears to be a very nice unit. The issue that it has was that it was hard to get the motor to start. He would have to spin it multiple times to get it to work.

The lesser tape deck is a Montgomery Wards Airline tape deck. It's just a cheap take deck, but I included it in the post as it's just neat to see.

For now, I'm just going to clean the stuff up and find a place to store it until I have some extra time and/or money to get it fixed.

I do think I know of an old feller on this forum that may know a thing or two about these old electronics.
It's Gumby's fault.

Vintage audio gear

Reply #1
What, no speakers? :P

Good stuff. I am a member of the Audiokarma forum too. If you need any specific help with any of the units, that's a good forum to post questions.

On that Kenwood, the dial lamps are probably just burned out. Similar to the instrument cluster lamps in our cars. Just a few bulbs in there.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Vintage audio gear

Reply #2
They do have some speakers, but I didn't have the means to get them home, nor do I have the space for them right now.

I did browse Audiokarma which is how I found some of the info about the Kenwood. There are something like 22 bulbs in it. For that many to be out, I think there is likely a power issue. I need to drag some speakers into the garage and do some more testing.

I really want to get the Kenwood fixed, but it might be beyond the scope of my skills.
It's Gumby's fault.

Vintage audio gear

Reply #3
They do have some speakers, but I didn't have the means to get them home, nor do I have the space for them right now.

I did browse Audiokarma which is how I found some of the info about the Kenwood. There are something like 22 bulbs in it. For that many to be out, I think there is likely a power issue. I need to drag some speakers into the garage and do some more testing.

I really want to get the Kenwood fixed, but it might be beyond the scope of my skills.
It's Gumby's fault.

Vintage audio gear

Reply #4
Quote from: Tbird232ci;463028

whats the model numbers on them tape decks?
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Vintage audio gear

Reply #5
It's not that hard to fix em, there isn't a lot going on electrically. I've had a lot of boat anchor gear over the years, current living room setup is a luxmen receiver and Ohm Walsh speakers. My garage setup is a big sansui G with some Yamaha ns670's, the stuff last forever.

If you need help shoot me a message, AK is a good forum though.

Vintage audio gear

Reply #6
Quote from: Moonmount;463030
whats the model numbers on them tape decks?

The Harmon/Kardon is HK2000 and the Montgomery Wards is gen6837a. After talking to a few guys, the HK was really nice in it's day, but nothing special now. The Montgomery Wards was inexpensive and pretty much off of the radar.
It's Gumby's fault.

Vintage audio gear

Reply #7
Quote from: Sancho;463043
It's not that hard to fix em, there isn't a lot going on electrically. I've had a lot of boat anchor gear over the years, current living room setup is a luxmen receiver and Ohm Walsh speakers. My garage setup is a big sansui G with some Yamaha ns670's, the stuff last forever.

If you need help shoot me a message, AK is a good forum though.

I know they aren't super complex, but it's a whole new thing to learn. I already have too many  projects on my plate so I might farm these out. I found a local shop that specializes in vintage audio, so when my fincances free up, I might take it up to them for an estimate. Not looking to a complete restoration, but I would like everything to be clean and work properly.
It's Gumby's fault.

Vintage audio gear

Reply #8
Quote from: Tbird232ci;463046
I know they aren't super complex, but it's a whole new thing to learn. I already have too many  projects on my plate so I might farm these out. I found a local shop that specializes in vintage audio, so when my fincances free up, I might take it up to them for an estimate. Not looking to a complete restoration, but I would like everything to be clean and work properly.

Have you checked out Tapeheads.net? I would look through some write ups on various sites, cleaning and repairing can be easy or difficult I really haven't found an in-between.
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Vintage audio gear

Reply #9
Quote from: Tbird232ci;463046
[COLOR="#FF0000"]I know they aren't super complex, but it's a whole new thing to learn. I already have too many  projects on my plate so I might farm these out.[/COLOR] I found a local shop that specializes in vintage audio, so when my fincances free up, I might take it up to them for an estimate. Not looking to a complete restoration, but I would like everything to be clean and work properly.

Exactly... same here!

I even found a guy in NJ to go over my Pioneer SX780 just haven't found the time to deliver it to him.  Need to re-foam my Advent speakers too. Of course when it's all done will I have time to sit back and enjoy it?

Love the vintage audio gear.

X
tbirdregistry.com

Vintage audio gear

Reply #10
Quote from: rodsterh;463158
Exactly... same here!

I even found a guy in NJ to go over my Pioneer SX780 just haven't found the time to deliver it to him.  Need to re-foam my Advent speakers too. Of course when it's all done will I have time to sit back and enjoy it?

Love the vintage audio gear.

I don't know if the distance is any better or worse, but there is a shop in Parkville, Maryland that specializes in vintage audio sales, repair and restoration. I haven't asked their prices, but they do good work.

This past weekend, we went back and took about three truckloads of  to the dump. One load was just computers, monitors, TV's and various electronics. They never got rid of any of their TV's or computers until this weekend. Even after that, it was maybe 1/3 of the  in the basp00get.

We did manage to dig out her dads Akai GX-265D reel-to-reel. I have no idea if it works. I took about 5 minutes to wipe it down and that was it. It needs a serious cleaning as it was on the side of the basp00get that got hit with the mildew the worst.
It's Gumby's fault.

Vintage audio gear

Reply #11
My dad has one of those and it still works.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Vintage audio gear

Reply #12
im also into older audio, the stuff you posted is rather newer than what i restore but, when you need caps/resistors/ and such, ping me first because i have what i think is a few thousand

Vintage audio gear

Reply #13
Quote from: jcassity;463257
im also into older audio, the stuff you posted is rather newer than what i restore but, when you need caps/resistors/ and such, ping me first because i have what i think is a few thousand

Do you prefer the earlier tube amplifiers and radios?
It's Gumby's fault.

Vintage audio gear

Reply #14
early tube radio's with the widest broadcast spectrum like my Hallicrafters S-38D.  I also have a philco 46-1226