Skip to main content
Topic: swapping to buttstuffog gauge cluster (Read 2225 times) previous topic - next topic

swapping to buttstuffog gauge cluster

is it a bolt-in, or is ther work required.

going in a 88 t-bird from a 88 turbo coupe
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Re: swapping to buttstuffog gauge cluster

Reply #1
is it a bolt-in
Of course not, you silly boy. It's a screw-in.  :tg:
or is ther work required.
Well, you have to take the old one out and put the new one in. I guess you could call that work.  :dunno:  You also need to move the wiring in the plug(s), add some wires, ignore some wires, jump some wires with a resistor...  :welder:

Start here:
http://www.coolcats.net/media/

Specifically, one of these should help:
1985-88 Standard-to-buttstuffog Cluster Guide
1985-88 Electronic-to-buttstuffog Cluster Guide
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #2
Quote from: MasterBlaster
Of course not, you silly boy. It's a screw-in.  :tg:
Well, you have to take the old one out and put the new one in. I guess you could call that work.  :dunno:  You also need to move the wiring in the plug(s), add some wires, ignore some wires, jump some wires with a resistor...  :welder:

, i just got pwned! :crazy:

thanks for the help!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #3
has anyone recalibrated the tach, for use on a v8? is it just a resistor that needs changing?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #4
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/4to8tach.html  :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
you're welcome! :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #7
alright, i went to a near by electronics store, and they had all different types of resistors. there were 1/8w, 1/4w, 1w, 2w, etc.

which one would be the right one? also, i couldnt find a 51k resistor. would a 47k work?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #8
1/4 will be fine. 47k will work but it will make the tach inaccurate. Can you get 100k? If so, use two of them in parallel (NOT in series). You could also use a small 50k trimpot and adjust it to 50k ohms...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
1/4 will be fine. 47k will work but it will make the tach inaccurate. Can you get 100k? If so, use two of them in parallel (NOT in series). You could also use a small 50k trimpot and adjust it to 50k ohms...

trimpot? adjust to 50k ohms? ...........im screwed!

they did have 100k resistors. you're saying i need two of the 100k resistors?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #10
F'N SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

it worked :headbang:

i bought a pack of the 1/4w 51k 2% resistors. de-soldered the old one, then soldered in the new one. i had to test it before i put it all back together.

im so glad i found this site. thanks for all the help. :bowdown:

P.S. standby for cluster swap rage :rolleyes:
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #11
Yes you need 2 100s in PARALELL.. Would be easier to buy new ones and twist the leads together then solder them in. Or you could get a 33K and a 18K and connect them in SERIES to get 51K, which would be fine... In both instances the original resistor needs to be removed..

Reply #12
i did do a little researching and found that on the back of the digi speedo, position R7 is a 50k ohm resistor. so if anybody doing this swap is having problems finding a 50k ohm resistor for the buttstuffog tach, they can use this one. since your ditching the digi speedo anyways, LOL!

also, when doing the swap, be sure NOT to go ahead and pull all the wires from the grey and brown connector. i found out the hard way. i had problems with wiring the amp gauge correctly. on the coolcats site, it shows a yellow and a red wire you will transfer over. on my bird, it didnt have these two wires. i had to use the green w/ red stripe, and the grey w/ yellow stripe for the gauge to work properly. it took me another day of junkyardin', to find another car like mine, cut the plugs off, and note their orginal positions.

ill try to get pics and pin locations for the base clusters later.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #13
another problem i have yet to find a solution for, is the check engine light. i have no idea on how to get it to work. :dunno:
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #14
I have a full electronic cluster with tach from an 85 or 86 Tbird, is there a way I could put in my 88 V6 car, and have everything work fine?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6