Skip to main content
Topic: Coolant... (Read 2591 times) previous topic - next topic

Coolant...

Does running a car with coolant generally have lower temps than a car that just rins water?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #1
somewhat, the coolant just raises the boiling point of the water so it doesnt boil away.
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Coolant...

Reply #2
Ok, reason I was asking was yesterday, I blew a hole in my radiator, and today, I got a replacement, put a new 180* thermostat (formerly had a 195*) and refilled it with water and prestone superflush to clean the cooling system. Now, my car is running a lot hotter, and the fan is kicking on at a higher temp as well, I was thinking maybe after I flushed it and refilled it with coolant, that my temps would drop back to normal.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #3
are you sure you put the thermostat in right? Did you drive it while it had the hole in your radiator-did it run dry is what im askin really?
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Coolant...

Reply #4
Nah, didn't run it dry, plenty of water came out when I swapped radiators.

Just double-checked the t-stat - it's good.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #5
my guess would be the temp. sensor is bad. is the water pump pumping, if so, i would say the sensor is failing.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Coolant...

Reply #6
Yep, water pump is pumping, after I filled it up and ran it for a while, I let it cool down and checked the fluid level, reservoir tank was almost empty, so I refilled it.

I do want to add, that when I check my temp gauge while driving, it's usually on the interstate (where I do most of my driving) and I figure that with the cool(er) air rushing in, it will definitly run at a lower temp. I haven't run on the interstae since I swapped, just warmed it up driving around here, and let it idle in the driveway.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #7
Sounds like an air pocket to me .
 You can try loosening a hose at the highest point in the system (not the upper radiator hose ), and letting any air burp out .
Fox-less at the moment

Coolant...

Reply #8
maybe the radiator wasnt totally full then? I use some stuff called "water wetter" in my coolant. It comes in a clear bottle, like 12oz and is red. Runs about 15 degrees cooler.

Does the 4.6 have the bolt to take out whenever you flush the radiator in the manifold like the 3.8s possibly something your heater hoses connect 2

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Coolant...

Reply #9
Quote from: hypostang;332866
Sounds like an air pocket to me .
 You can try loosening a hose at the highest point in the system (not the upper radiator hose ), and letting any air burp out .

I'm gonna run it with the cap off foe a little bit, see what happens.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #10
Quote from: merccougar93;332867
maybe the radiator wasnt totally full then? I use some stuff called "water wetter" in my coolant. It comes in a clear bottle, like 12oz and is red. Runs about 15 degrees cooler.

Does the 4.6 have the bolt to take out whenever you flush the radiator in the manifold like the 3.8s possibly something your heater hoses connect 2

I've thought about the water wetter, hell it even lookd cool LOL

As far as the bolt, I'll have to check on that.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #11
it should have something to that effect to prevent any chances of an air pocket. That water wetter does work. not a bad investment

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Coolant...

Reply #12
Cool, I think the air may be the problem, just drove around again for a little while and the needle was all over the place, jumping around every minute or so. Gonna try to purge as much air as I can and tomorrow when I switch back to coolant I'm gonna add some water wetter.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #13
If the 4.6 has the same as the 3.8, it'll be the deal in the attached pics ...

It needs to be taken off when you refill the system to prevent air entering the system, as replied with earlier.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Coolant...

Reply #14
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;332875
Cool, I think the air may be the problem, just drove around again for a little while and the needle was all over the place, jumping around every minute or so. Gonna try to purge as much air as I can and tomorrow when I switch back to coolant I'm gonna add some water wetter.

If that doesnt fix ya, check the coolant sensor connection, mine did that once and i had a bad connection there, it wasnt corroded or anything, but i took the connector of  and closed the tip just a wee bit so it was a tighter connection on there, and that fixed it. but its probly air in the system.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8