Skip to main content
Topic: Help! 7.5" Axle to 8.8" Trouble! (Read 58910 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! 7.5" Axle to 8.8" Trouble!

Reply #60
I saw that but my computer wont open it. its lame like that

Reply #61
Bingo bango...
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #62
I just have to say, that chart and it's contents are beautiful!
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #63
Just an idea.
What about swapping the tubes?
No bracket or length problems.
Ask around, someone where you live should be able to swap the tubes and maybe even square them up and weld them in place...
I have acquired an 8.8 differential with a powertrax posi unit.  My issue comes from the fact that the axles are 5 lug and am using 4 lug rims which I do not want to replace just yet.
Blueprinted 306, Thumper ported Canfield 195's, TLSR Camshaft, custom motor mounts, Parker funnelweb, Pro Systems Carburetor, Tremec 3550 II, 4.30 gears, Moser Axles, Team Z custom suspension with upper relocation brackets and anti roll bar.  At the track I run M/T 26/10's on Weld Star rims.

Reply #64
Quote from: Its1FastCat;199441
Just an idea.
What about swapping the tubes?
No bracket or length problems.
Ask around, someone where you live should be able to swap the tubes and maybe even square them up and weld them in place...
I have acquired an 8.8 differential with a powertrax posi unit.  My issue comes from the fact that the axles are 5 lug and am using 4 lug rims which I do not want to replace just yet.

Or how about just picking up a set of axles from an 83-85 TBird/Cougar, or from an 87-88TC?

What is your 8.8 out of?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #65
Good looking chart! Would it be possible to update it with axle spline count unless they are all 28's and are Mark VII 7.5" ring gears?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #66
So does anyone know the width of the housing in an 84'-92' Mark VII?  Im going from a Fox Mustang 8.8 drum rear to Mark VII axles, rotors, calipers, ect.  Im looking for the 5 Lug vented rotor and the extra width.  Just want to make sure its going to be a bit wider then an 87'-88' Turbo Coupe rear end.

Reply #67
Quote from: turborscapri1984;205670
So does anyone know the width of the housing in an 84'-92' Mark VII?  Im going from a Fox Mustang 8.8 drum rear to Mark VII axles, rotors, calipers, ect.  Im looking for the 5 Lug vented rotor and the extra width.  Just want to make sure its going to be a bit wider then an 87'-88' Turbo Coupe rear end.

When or if it ever quits raining :mad: ,I can go out and measure it for ya.I have a 90 model linc mk 7 with disc brakes.I did a quick measure last night and went from outside to outside of the s and got 54 inches.the 88 cougar xr7 rear end is 56 in ches from  to .both are 8.8s and both are disc brakes.I used the 94 mustang axle and it has 2in of splines and the linc has 1 1/2 splines.the linc axle is 30-1/2 and the mustang (sn95-94 and up)is 30 inches.I slid both in the 54 in housing from the linc and the both went in fine.I didnt get any farther(Rain).I will get some pics tomorrow(I hope-I swear were in seattle ,wa).I am doing the same set up the way it sounds as you but,I am putting mine in a malibu.i hope that some of this helps.I am doing a write up on maliburacing.com about 8.8 backyard build up with pics.you can go on there and check it out.kenny

Reply #68
I put an 8.8 under my bird from a 91 lx with 2.73 trac lok and i ordered 1 1/4 wheel spacers from ezaccesories.com  for like 84 bucks shipped. the only problem is they come with 12mm studs and lugs. And the only problem i ran into with the rear was the fact i have air shocks the kicker shocks would have came into contact with them. Also if you go the mustang route get the brackets to bolt the kicker shocks on from the doner car. your gonna need them and there bolts for the frame( some special bolts). Unless your not worried about the kickers like i wasnt. and it only took me about an 1 1/2 to swap rears and get her back on the road. Just what ever you do  dont weld the diff in the 7.5 and try driving on the street  i did and nothing but bad things happened=]  but any other questions  let me know

Reply #69
the marks rear is an inch wider on each side then a 7.5  hope that helps a lil

Reply #70
To add to the chart, my 1989 mark vii housing width measures 54" via tape measure, so I assume it is the same as the others of the same era-54.096.  It appears that the only difference is the axles.
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...