Skip to main content
Topic: BlueBird (Read 40219 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: BlueBird

Reply #210
Nice progress!
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #211
Awesome!
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #212
Think this one will break 100rwhp?

The 4v 4.6L is one of the best sounding V8's. I'm excited for you to get it in.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #213
Probably not, but since I have witnessed one of your cars not be able to outrun a 4v mn12, this should be fine...  :rollin:

Lots of engine bay cleaning today.
IMG_2636.JPG
IMG_2637.JPG

I also did the first test fit of the sn95 k-member, and am now reminded of a couple fitment gotchas. I will get those ironed out, then clean and paint the k-member.
IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2638.JPG
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #214
Think this one will break 100rwhp?
Probably not, but since I have witnessed one of your cars not be able to outrun a 4v mn12, this should be fine...  :rollin:

To this day, I look back and think about that. It was no fault of the car. I didn't drop down to 3rd gear. I was a non-driver and was only dropping to 4th. 100% my fault.

I also did the first test fit of the sn95 k-member, and am now reminded of a couple fitment gotchas. I will get those ironed out, then clean and paint the k-member.
Have to slot the rear mounting ears?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #215
Where your brake lines go?!

Reply #217
Those headers appear to be BBK, if you are going to use them just a warning you may have steering shaft clearance issues and on the right side firewall clearance issues. At least I did into my 85. Definitely following along.  :roxor:

Reply #218
I cut the rear brake line at the base of the firewall. I will be running new lines along the firewall from the hydroboost to the right front wheel and rear line connection. I want the k-member to be easily removable for future service options.

I test fit the drivetrain to decide if I might like to use the rear kmember mounting holes as my reference location. This would push the kmember forward about ¾" and move the lower control arms with it. Upon inspection though, the shifter lines up with the hole I already cut for the old T5 if I keep the standard kmember location, so I modded the lower mounts and measured for my spacer.
IMG_2645.JPG

The headers are indeed BBK, and I can confirm a slight interference with the passenger footwell. Steering shaft is next on my list. I will be adapting what appears to be a Maximum Motorsports sn95 shaft to the Fox column in order to use an 03-04 Cobra rack.

I also have this co-habitation to deal with
IMG_2646.JPG

Reply #219
I trimmed off the lower mount and relocated those holes as well. I went with a 5/8” spacer on the upper and 1/8” at the lower just to move things down a bit for a little more hood and header clearance. Also used the maximum Motorsport hybrid shaft to get the cobra rack connected. I also moved the engine forward around 1/4-3/8” by reaming out where the motor mount stud goes thru the k member. Here is what I did to get steering shaft clearance.

Reply #220
Thank you for the reminder. I went back and re-read thru the beginning of your thread for hints on my path forward  ;)

Reply #221
Passenger side header contact addressed, and engine/kmember bolted up.

IMG_2662.JPG

Then, onto the steering shaft. Chopping and splicing the MM sn95 shaft, mating it up to the Fox column, then shifting and spacing the column down slightly got me (barely) past the header!

IMG_2661.JPG

I'm thinking SFCs might be next, while the engine is in and I can visualize exhaust and trans crossmember stuffs.

Reply #222
Looks good in there. I can’t believe you got that steering shaft to clear that header tube.  :bowdown:  I did try shimming the column but would have had to go so far I didn’t like the steering wheel location.

Reply #223
You using solid engine mounts on that thing? That is pretty tight clearance.

You gonna do the thru-floor SFCs in this?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #224
Poly engine mounts. There is a bit more room than the pic shows. Tough to get a good angle.

Normal bottom mounts with your seat braces for this car.