Skip to main content
Topic: Super Coupe swap underway (Read 13375 times) previous topic - next topic

Super Coupe swap underway

Ok, i have taken the plunge on my old t-bird.
I figured what the hell. it is sitting there with no engine or trans :mad: . I had her a long time ago set it up for a manual trans. I blew my 5.0 250 miles after he installed a super duty T-5. I have a aluminum fly wheel with the neutral setting for the super coupe engine. i found a super coupe engine on crageslist a long time ago for 250.00 with manual trans attached. Because the stock 5-speed is a mazda setup. i sold it for 250.00. BAM f:burnout: ree 3.8SC. $50.00 on ebay for all the wiring harness :D . A case of beer and $50.00 for my electrician friend to help wire her up. $20.00 for a pair of stock 94 mustang 3.8 headers. But... now i have ran into a issue. "im sure first of many"

Engine mounts. :punchballs: MY bird was a 5.0 at one point a long time ago. now i need 3.8 mounts. any one have any 80's 3.8 mounts with brakets?
Also i was looking online at the 94/95 mustang 3.8 mounts. they look like they may work. Any one have any ideas?
1963 Lincoln Continental Cov. 455ci
1984 Thunderbird Elan 232ci 3.8L Super Coupe "in swap stage"
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 280CI 4.6DOHC V8
                        :birdsmily:

Reply #1
I have two, 1983 3.8 motor mounts from my T-bird. If interested,I can post pics or PM me.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

engine mounts

Reply #2
Yes, please, can you post pics?

Reply #3
29,000 miles on these mounts
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

mounts

Reply #4
that looks like it will work, i am going to go and take a look at the engine and see if the holes like up. i was told at some point "dont remember when" that they changed the distance between mounting holes on the engine mounts on the engines late in the 80's. I have no idea if there is any validity to it. But i will go and get the measurements tomorrow and post them. Would you mind checking the distance. And if it is the same, how much would you want for them?

Thank again, i really appreciate it. :bowdown:

Reply #5
It seems like a great idea because the 80s T-bird weigh less than the newer ones and the Supercoupe motors have tons or aterkaret parts for them it would be a cool swap and should run good. Was thinking about it last summer may do it one day but looks like you will beat me 2 it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #6
Quote from: Elantbird84;231264
Would you mind checking the distance. And if it is the same, how much would you want for them?

not a problem.

$40.00 + shipping
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
You may want to get in contact with someone who's done this before -- the car was an '87.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=9395

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=1868

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/member.php?u=116

The guy doesn't post anymore, but I suppose you could IM him...

Here's some other postd on other sites from Him:

http://forums.tccoa.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=6060
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Supper Coupe

Reply #8
i will be going over to my friends house today to measure the mount. He has a nice barn/shop to do the swap. I will also take some pics of the t-5 on the engine.

some issues i have ran into already. "from 1984 to 1990."

1. engine mounts. Thanks to Chooglin we may have that solved.
2. exhaust. the Super coupe manifolds are big o cast iron bricks. they had to go.
My bbk of road h pipe from my 5.0 will not bolt up. so its gonna need a bit of tweekin. As i stated before, the 94 mustang headers are nice, but the driver side is angled a bit goofy.Pics to come of this.
3. Radiator/intercooler. The stock Super Coupe radiator is way small. So i have elected to retain my stock 5.0 radiator. that otta keep her  cool. But that makes it almost imposable to mount the stock intercooler. gonna go with a http://www.frozenboost.com/ intercooler kit. :burnout:
4. Battery is on the passenger side in 84. its on the right in 90.
5. Alternator is a one wire on the 90. The 84 as we all know is not. Not a big deal but, and this relates to #4. the alternator harness is way short to allow for the driver side battery. And it is going to be in my way for the intercooler kit.:mad:
6. The 90's stock harness is MASSIVE "pics to come" the engine bay harness is connected to the engine to computer harness. the engine to computer harness is connected to the engine harness. Its quite a cluster F%#K. :toilet:
7. All the bolts on the engine are metric. I was not aware of that, and had to go to the good old hard ware store and dig for grade 8 metrics for the trans.
The 5.0 bell housing will and does bolt up to the 3.8, The underside of the bell housing bolts to not bolt up to the holes on the oil pan that are there for said purpose. 
8. the stock 90. oil pan my be to deep/tall. i will let yall know.

Chooglin - price sounds good. I will let ya know later today what the measurements are, You take PayPal?

P.S so far the total is up to about $2100.00 most of the cost is the flywheel and transmission. if you count them out, i am still in the couple of hundred range.

People ask me why a am going threw all this for this old car. 2 reasons.

1. It was my high school car. I cant get rid of her.
2. Have you ever driven a t-bird?

Reply #9
my wife has a paypal account we can use.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

engine mounts

Reply #10
ok, the distance between the two parallel holes are 3 1/4 inc apart.

the single hole to the forward two holes is 5 1/4.

is that the same as what you have?

Reply #11
getting ready to eat but will go get measurements in a hour or so.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
ok this is what I have.It is closer to 3 3/16" and 5 3/16" on my mounts.not trying to get technical,but just wanted to make sure you know what I have.we are only talking a 1/16 of an inch.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

engine mounts

Reply #13
ya know thats so  close i may just be fartin in the wind with my measurements. i whould like to get them from ya, i get payed on Wednesday, my i send you payment then?

Reply #14
I'm fairly certain the block mounting points for the motor mounts didn't change from '83 to '04. I've got a pair of '85 mounts on an '02 block.

You can pick up a new pair of mounts for under $30 + shipping from rockauto.com