Skip to main content
Topic: AC swap in an 86 XR-7 (Read 1509 times) previous topic - next topic

AC swap in an 86 XR-7

I've tried searching and can't find what I'm looking for so bear with me here. 

Seems like I remember seeing something about being able to swap out some year of Mustang air conditioner parts to replace/upgrade the OEM HR-980 compressor in these mid-80s T-birds and Cougars.  Am I dreaming or is it feasible time and price wise?  If I remember correctly, there was something about having to change out a bracket along with the different compressor/clutch assembly.  Did I dream seeing this or is it the best way to go to get my A/C functioning again?    THANKS!!!
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

AC swap in an 86 XR-7

Reply #1
I  can't remember exact details, but yes the late 4cyl Stangs(roughly '90-'93?) did use a different compressor... Mounting bracket is different and since those were all serpentine belt setup, you'd probably have to change to those pulleys & mounts(I dunno if there is a V belt clutch for those compressors)... No doubt hoses are different as well... Easiest would be to buy a parts car that has what you need then resell it to get your money back...

AC swap in an 86 XR-7

Reply #3
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;461042
I  can't remember exact details, but yes the late 4cyl Stangs(roughly '90-'93?) did use a different compressor... Mounting bracket is different and since those were all serpentine belt setup, you'd probably have to change to those pulleys & mounts(I dunno if there is a V belt clutch for those compressors)... No doubt hoses are different as well... Easiest would be to buy a parts car that has what you need then resell it to get your money back...

WOW!!  More changing out than I remembered seeing :(    Back to the drawing board I guess.  THANKS!
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

AC swap in an 86 XR-7

Reply #4
Quote from: CougarGal;461045
WOW!!  More changing out than I remembered seeing :(    Back to the drawing board I guess.  THANKS!
The V6 HR980 to 6P148 swap is still quite involved. You need new brackets and hoses for the compressor and P/S pump. Still easier than swapping the other FEAD components too.