Skip to main content
Topic: 2005 Mustang GT -- trans cooler upgrade options..... (Read 5086 times) previous topic - next topic

2005 Mustang GT -- trans cooler upgrade options.....

Well, I finally went and did it.  The Mustang now sports a 4000 RPM stall Pro Torque Triple disc torque converter and a Level 10 hardened input shaft.  The car is going in to the dyno tuner to remap the curves for the shift points sometime soon.  Until then she's gonna be packed away in the garage awaiting a few other supporting modifications to keep the heat down.

Step 1:  Fr500s Radiator Ford Racing part # M-8005-MGT

Step 2:  2013-14 GT500 Fan assembly Ford Racing part # M-8C607-MSVT

Step 1 & 2 are the easy part.  In fact, it's been done before.  See the following:  http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1509-fr500s-radiator-and-fan-upgrade-race-bred-cooling-system-perfect-for-daily-driven-s197-mustang/

My issue is step 3......

Step 3:  Install larger transmission cooler.  Problem is which one.  I have a few options in mind.

The S197 chassis cars do not have a transmission cooler built into their radiators.  Part # 5R3Z-7A095-A. They have an all separate unit behind the A/C condenser and in front of the radiator.  It's the cream in the Oreo if you will.....
Pic for reference:

It has 9 rows, is a stacked plate design and is perfectly adequate in stock applications.....  I have a blower......and 4000 rpm stall speed..... So no mas for this.

My options:

[INDENT]2011-2014 Mustang OEM trans cooler.  Ford part # BR3Z-7A095-B.  This is a direct swap.  15 rows as opposed to the stock 9.  Yay, better cooling and OEM parts!  Problem is the fact that I don't know if it will be enough..... I cannot find any info on BTU rating or cooling capacity.
[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Tru Cool LPD 47391.  Similar in size to the 11-14 Mustang piece with a SUPPOSED 45,000 BTU/40,000 lb GVWR.  Would take some fabrication to make it mount nicely and appear factory.[/INDENT]

Lastly.....

[INDENT]2005-2007 F-250 Super Duty 26 row cooler.  Part # 5C3Z-7A095-CA.  TWENTY.  SIX.  ROWS.  This thing should be able to cool off a Rhinoceros in the pit of Hades.... This is a very popular upgrade for the 7.3 diesel guys.
Problem:  WILL IT FIT??????  Obviously I'd have to cut/file/sand the bottom mounting tabs off as well as pop the rivets on the side extensions as shown.  After that, some brainstorming would occur on how to mount it; that is if it'll fit!!!!  Height and thickness aren't the issue.  It's width.  I cannot find any info on the width of the unit itself minus the tabs.  If it's under 25 inches, I'm golden.  It's the no-brainer.[/INDENT]

So, anybody have a 2005-2007 F-250 they can measure the trans cooler on for me?????
:hick:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
Assuming the BR3Z-7A095-B is the same depth as the 47391, they'll probably have very similar heat transfer results. The plus is the BR3Z-7A095-B should just bolt in, correct?

I haven't looked into it, but I'd be very suspicious of BTU/GVWR ratings, at least when comparing between different companies. Unless they all use the same testing procedure called out in a specification the numbers aren't worth the paper they're printed on, IMO.

The 5C3Z-7A095-CA appears to be 16.65" by 34.04" http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4980420&cc=1430817&jsn=565
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2005,f-350+super+duty,6.0l+v8+diesel+turbocharged,1430817,transmission-automatic,oil+cooler,2088

I'm guessing the dimensions are for the core, not the entire thing. Using MS Paint and the picture below... The core has an H/W ratio of 0.47. Including the tabs it is 0.56. 16.55/34.04 = 0.49.

Ran out of time, will figure it out this evening...

Reply #2
, that thing is cool (pun intended).
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
The Dorman piece you link to is actually designed to replace both the 26 row AND a larger 31 row cooler.  It actually has 33 rows that I believe may be smaller in height per row than the stock Ford units. I have no idea how tall it is in comparison to said stock units and would surmise it's a different height than both.  Width SHOULD be the same.

I'm gonna spin by the local Ford dealer tomorrow and see what they can tell me.

*EDIT*

The core itself can't possibly be 34 inches wide.
Behold.

--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
no matter its size within reason mind you, its all about the ability to fabricate mounting ears to the vertical sections of your existing core support.
you can do it,,

I personally am using an air conditioner condensor as a transmission cooler.
I am dividing / cutting it in half and fabricating a qty of two transmission coolers out of one hvac condensor.

i like the large opening tubes for flow reasons.  For me its  an experiement to recycle stuff i have available lying around, some have argued that this being so different must not be a resonable cooler, because nothing else looks like it.

Reply #5
I wonder if anyone has thought about re-plumbing the A/C to put the evaporator in front of the trans oil cooler and radiator?
Or making it a heat pump that can be reversed when doing aggressive heat producing stuff.

Reply #6
Quote from: softtouch;457422
I wonder if anyone has thought about re-plumbing the A/C to put the evaporator in front of the trans oil cooler and radiator?
Or making it a heat pump that can be reversed when doing aggressive heat producing stuff.

This appears to be a step in that direction.  It's intended for electric vehicles.
http://www.densodynamics.com/densos-heat-pump-system-helps-evs-go-the-distance/

Reply #7
Have you thought about getting the deeper pan so the trans holds more fluid and a dip stick?  Also, do you have a catch can system for the vent on the trans?  I've seen a few blower cars running only these two mods and they are at the track all summer long and daily driven cars with zero trans issues using the stock cooler.

http://www.teamjdm.com/2005-2009-automatic-5r55-trans-catch-can-kit/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma-pa27455kt

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #8
I have a catch can; in fact it's that very one.  Very beneficial.  Most of the deeper pans are too deep.  Not very much clearance for my liking.  PA Performance used to make one that looked good, but it looks as if they've discontinued it.

Reply #9
Text a guys that has a 2008 with a whipple on it and he installed a B&M cooler in series with his stock unit.  Said he read it on a forum and gave it a shot as the car is lower than stock and the deeper pan was not an option.  So far (three years) he has had zero issues and the trans fluid looked great both times the filter has been changed.  Took him a bit but he got me a part number of 70268 for the cooler.  I did a quick search and it appears it is rated at 13,000 Btu on their site:

http://www.bmracing.com/products/70268-oil-cooler-medium-supercooler-13000-btu-rating-black/

When doing the search I came across a few guys on the forums that are using it and one claimed temps at 170 deg F and then would go up to around 200 deg F prior to the installation of the B&M cooler and after the install it was 170 deg F and then would only go up to 173 Deg F but he did add a deep pan which is where the tap for the temperature gauge was installed.  He also mentioned that the B&M went directly below the OEM unit and he plumbed it in series with the OEM first and the B&M second.

Good luck with the hunt as it sounds like you are on the right path if you cannot install the deeper pan.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #10
Welp, the 2nd and 3rd options are out.  Too thick to fit between the condenser and radiator.  Looks as if the 2011-2014 Mustang cooler is a go.

If I go with one like the one linked, I'll go with a Long as opposed to a B&M.  Less expensive, equal quality.  I run a 22000 GVWR unit in conjunction with the in-radiator one on my Cougar.  The radiator is a 2.5" thick 3 row brass unit.  Works beautifully on that car.

Confirmed measurements for the core on the 2005-2007 F-250 Super Duty 26 row cooler. Part # 5C3Z-7A095-CA are as follows:  24 X 13 X 1.5.  I had a friend measure his.  I cannot believe I spent 3 hours searching for that info on the internet and it's nowhere.....

As far as a pan,  this looks promising.....

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/transmission-pan-for-ford-5r55n-5r55s-5r55w-deep-as-cast/

Now to order the rad, fan and cooler.
Time to go spend $1,100. I may do the pan and make it even more....

Dammit............

Reply #11
Was finally able to drive the car to see what the converter is doing. 

Gotta take it out; too loose....
Gonna be a busy week.  At least they can tighten it up free of charge....

Reply #12
Okay kiddies.....

Stock converter is back in.  The hardened input shaft is in there with it and they'll be dating till at least the spring.  Gonna drop the other converter off and have them fix her up.  No rush. 

In the meantime, I installed the radiator, fan, and transmission cooler.  I took her out for a short blast the other day and a decently long drive this evening.  I have the low speed fan relay set to kick on @ 182*...... I think it's gonna be on vacation until June.  It was 36* here tonight.  Car was at a constant 178*  About only 10* more than needed to go into closed loop.

Pics of the stock rad and new one in the car for comparison....

All buttoned up....

By the way, these cars aren't very friendly to a radiator swap; especially when going to something as big as this one.  The transmission cooler being sandwiched between the rad and condenser doesn't help any.  Also; the 2011-14 trans cooler mounted right onto the new rad, but you have to get creative and use different mounting hardware than stock and use the hoses from the stock cooler.  In fact you'll have to splice in some extra hose to the bottom line due to the way it routes around the side tank on the radiator and the fact this new one is so much wider.....

I swapped in a larger radiator and a bigger trans cooler in the Cougar about 2 years ago.  Took about 3 hours.  This took almost 13......to be fair I was cleaning EVERYTHING as I wen along because show car, but definitely more involved.....

If I ever have to remove the A/C condenser from this car, the nose is coming off.

Reply #13
Soooo. You're telling me changing the radiator out on our '12 Mustang would suck?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #14
Quote from: thunderjet302;457893
Soooo. You're telling me changing the radiator out on our '12 Mustang would suck?

Not only would it suck, it would suck with gusto.