Skip to main content
Topic: 8.8 Rearend making noises. (Read 1301 times) previous topic - next topic

8.8 Rearend making noises.

So I've put an 87 Thunderbird TC 8.8 in my 86 TC, went for a ride and it makes bad noises. All I did inside it was replace the clutchpacks. There is a lot of slack when turning one of the wheels, you can turn one almost an inch before anything inside moves or the other wheel moves. Also, when turning the wheels and then quickly stopping the carrier keeps spinning for a fraction of a second while the wheel is stopped. I have no idea what it could be? Anything could help, thanks.

Reply #1
Did you pull the carrier out? How many miles on the rear end?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Spider and side gears. Just did mine. Be sure to get the cross shaft as well.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #3
I didn't pull the carrier out and I have no clue on the miles. But if I am doing new side gears and spider gears, would it be around the same cost to just take the rearend to a driveline shop? I just want it to be done right and last a while. But you think it definitely is side and spider gears? What ones do you recommend?