Skip to main content
Topic: 7.5" axles into an 8.8"? (Read 3268 times) previous topic - next topic

7.5" axles into an 8.8"?

Reply #15
The HOUSING on your 84 is the same width as the Mustang 8.8. The axles are longer on the TBirds/Cougars. Pull the axles and brakes from your 84 Tbird and swap the whole thing over to the 8.8.

It's possible that you can just use the axles and drums from your TBird. It's been a LOOOONG time since I messed with this swap and I don't recall if the backing plates are the same between the two, or not. The extra 3/4" is made up in the backing plates or the drums.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

7.5" axles into an 8.8"?

Reply #16
Thanks Chuck. That's going to be tonight's project.

7.5" axles into an 8.8"?

Reply #17
Quote from: 1wld brd;465215
it's a complete mustang differential so....  Ya it has the mustang axles and drums.  But that is what the question was.  I can swap the 7.5 axles and brakes onto it and get my width back right?

yes.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

7.5" axles into an 8.8"?

Reply #18
If the brakes are the finned, 9 inch version, yes, direct swap.

It's when you do the ten inch swap like I did that things get really wonky...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

7.5" axles into an 8.8"?

Reply #19
So I guess it's a good thing I was finally doing this swap anyways as the 7.5 was definitely showing signs it was ready to die and I'm sure the punishment the 6.0L was going to give it would have finished it off

X
X

The pin is actually stuck there.  I had to take a hammer and punch and pound it that far to get the axles in

7.5" axles into an 8.8"?

Reply #20
I shattered the pinion bearing on the 7.5 in my car when I launched it (with the same engine/trans combo it currently has). Pinion was slapping into the carrier housing making a nasty racket. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xzkctodX0E

Hence why I finally built and installed that 8.8....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

7.5" axles into an 8.8"?

Reply #21
Ya I have broke 4 of those 7.5s behind my stock 302 in that blue cougar I had years ago. Lol. And same thing.  Carrier caps fragmented

For anyone curious on the difference between the mustang and the TBird here is a pic of the only difference.  TBird is on the right

X

7.5" axles into an 8.8"?

Reply #22
Yeah, we have the lengths of those axles listed in a stickied post here.

I *think* that 3/4" difference in length is made up in the drum height. You might post up a comparo of the drums, if you get around to it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

7.5" axles into an 8.8"?

Reply #23
Yup. Difference is made up in the drums.  Changed the backing plates even though they are the same.  Gave me a chance to clean them and paint them.

X

Stick out from fender comparison.
Tbird axle :
X

Mustang axle:
X