Skip to main content
Topic: two T5s, whats the difference? (Read 4082 times) previous topic - next topic

two T5s, whats the difference?

hello everyone!

During a series of horse trades, I ended up trading off a spare 351W that i had sitting around (basically a core, it ran when pulled, and sat in the corner for close ot a decade) for two T5 transmissions. 

the first one is out of a 1989 ford Mustang GT, 5.0 car, and i was told, the 2nd gear syncro is a bit finicky.

the 2nd one is out of a Merucry Mekur, that had a non turbo 4 cylinder.

I'm looking to eventually put one of these into my 87 Tbird, my question is, whats the difference between the two transmissions?

Reply #1
Input shaft different size and gearing. The 4cyl will have the smaller input shaft.

John

Reply #2
The XR4Ti's never came with a T5. They also never had a non-turbo 2.3 in them.

Check the ID tags on the transmissions.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #3
The '89 Mustang unit will be not have the improved gear set so the torque rating on that unit will be 265 ft/lbs.  The change was in '90.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
As Chuck stated, no such thing as a XR4Ti without turbo or with T-5.. Possibly someone had swapped a Stang NA 2.3 & T-5 into one?? Or someone was lying or had no idea what they were talking about...

Anyway if it's a half motor trans, the pilot bearing nose will be slightly shorter and smaller diameter... With i believe Ranger pilot bearing they fit behind a 5.0... Biggest issue is are weak(rated around 240Ft lb) and have a stump pulling 3.97 1st gear... O/D is only 20% vs approx 33% on V8 versions... Few parts are interchangeable between the two transmissions...

It's common for the 1st/2nd gear synchro to be bad, especially if someone used 90W gear lube vs automatic xmission fluid... Usually requires at least synchro & 2nd gear replacement... The newer V8 trans was a little stronger than earlier models... Was possible to shuck the 3rd gear teeth from cluster on a power shift in the earlier trans... Somewhere around here I have a T-Shirt for that one...

Reply #5
Quote from: Chuck W;464616
The XR4Ti's never came with a T5. They also never had a non-turbo 2.3 in them.

Check the ID tags on the transmissions.

where are the tags located, and what should i look for?  the guy is coming up tomorrow afternoon for the trade.

Reply #6
The tag would be under one of the bolts that holds the tailshaft housing to the main case. That tag will also tell you the gear ratios for each gear...assuming no one has fiddled with anything inside.
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #7
regardless, the Gt mustang T5, while not the "perfect" candidate, can be rebuilt and used in my 302 powered 87 T, correct?

Reply #8
Quote from: bootleggers deluxe;464625
regardless, the Gt mustang T5, while not the "perfect" candidate, can be rebuilt and used in my 302 powered 87 T, correct?

Externally all Ford T-5 are identical(at least close enough not to make a difference)... GM transmissions had different input shaft, bolt pattern and location(s) of shifter...

I bought the later gearset after I blew the one up in my '86 Stang... They must be better cause that one never broke... Gearset and rebuild kit will give you most everything you'd need...

There are charts on net that ID trans with source, gear ratio, torque etc...

Reply #9
Well, thats the one i was after, really.  like i said, the engine was a spare core ive had in the corner for like 7 years, so it's not hurting me one bit to unload it for parts i can actually use.

Reply #10
heres the goods...

the v8 one...  note that i need a bellhousing...  anyone hook me up?

and the tag

the 4 cyl one

guy was super nice, he even had a spare set of tall fabricated aluminum SBF valve covers he tossed in on the deal for me.

Reply #11
Type out the tag, or look it up. Its not hard to figure out. I cant really make it out. The tag will tell ya what it goes too.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
the blue one doesnt have a tag, and thats the one of unkown status.

Reply #13
Quote from: bootleggers deluxe;464655
the blue one doesnt have a tag, and thats the one of unkown status.
Put it in 1st & count turns of input shaft to give one turn of output... If it requires approx 4 turns, that's said 4cyl trans with 3.97 1st gear... No need to proceed farther... I believe there were lesser ratio 4cyl trans in early TC & SVO but none less than around 3.5... The production HO 5.0 World Class trans all have 3.35 1st gears(note I said HO)... The '83 & '84 non-WC have a 2.95 1st...

Here's a list of just the Ford transmissions...

http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id38.html

AND I don't mean to ruin your day -- BUT but if tag on the black transmission is E7SR-7003-AA and 1352-155, that's a 4cy trans as well... Turbo Coupe trans...

On this list at bottom of first page...
http://www.autogear.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/T5wc_Mustang_21.pdf

Reply #14
I'll check em both out when i head to the shop this afternoon.  i'll get the tag numbers, and give em both the spin test.