Skip to main content
Topic: New lers (Read 10169 times) previous topic - next topic

New lers

Reply #15
Dumps are a cop out.  It's the easy way, the cheap way, and it doesn't matter how many people are doing it.  Lots of people stuff cheap ebay re-based junk HID burners in their stock headlights and think they're cool, and just blind people and look like assholes, and THAT doesn't make it any less of a cop out.  Lots of people weld fart can lers on their 15 year old 5th owner Civics with otherwise stock EVERYTHING and think they're Paul Walker, but they're not.  They're not anybody, they'e barely NOBODY.  They're medium pimpin' half-ass-tic fantastics. 

If you don't want shiny tails, don't get shiny tails.  Run GT style 2.5's high and tight with a turn down at the end that cuts flush to the rear bumper sight line. For anything visible, use matte finish black header paint. Side outlets almost require custom skirts, or oval shaped pipe with slash cut ends mounted just inside the pinch weld.  Wanna know what that looks like?  Google Boss Mustang underbody pics. You just use bigger pipe to compensate for not having a rear path.

New lers

Reply #16
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;395984
Dumps are a cop out.  It's the easy way, the cheap way, and it doesn't matter how many people are doing it.  Lots of people stuff cheap ebay re-based junk HID burners in their stock headlights and think they're cool, and just blind people and look like assholes, and THAT doesn't make it any less of a cop out.  Lots of people weld fart can lers on their 15 year old 5th owner Civics with otherwise stock EVERYTHING and think they're Paul Walker, but they're not.  They're not anybody, they'e barely NOBODY.  They're medium pimpin' half-ass-tic fantastics. 

If you don't want shiny tails, don't get shiny tails.  Run GT style 2.5's high and tight with a turn down at the end that cuts flush to the rear bumper sight line. For anything visible, use matte finish black header paint. Side outlets almost require custom skirts, or oval shaped pipe with slash cut ends mounted just inside the pinch weld.  Wanna know what that looks like?  Google Boss Mustang underbody pics. You just use bigger pipe to compensate for not having a rear path.

lol...I still disagree dude.  I appreciate your opinion and all, but I don't think dumps are cutting corners at all.  I happen to think the no tailpipe looks fantastic on a car like my T-bird.  Maybe I'll get them on and hate it...who knows?  All I know is that I have seen several very nice cars run them to varying degrees of success.  Sometimes it sounds awesome (it really sounds good on a motor with a big cam) and other times I have noticed that it sounds kinda py.  I think if I run it up over the axle with a quieter ler then it will sound good.  It actually should not sound much different than running full tailpipes as long as you run a turndown with an angle to it (point towards each other or to the sides of the car instead of straight down at the ground).
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

New lers

Reply #17
Much like anything else, it is a matter of taste and preference.  It is the individuality, creativity and the love of our cars that make them what they are and what they will become.  I am okay with that, because it is for this reason that these cars have not found their way to the crusher.

New lers

Reply #18
Ever thought about adding a full length system to what you've got first?  :dunno:
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

New lers

Reply #19
Quote from: QUICKSHIFT;395994
Ever thought about adding a full length system to what you've got first?  :dunno:
Agreed, if you're sawed off after the axle, you're probably pointing it right at the ground right?  If you were unloading out the back you might not hear as much of your own noise, You'd be leaving the noise behind instead of bouncing it off the road under you.

New lers

Reply #20
I can add a little fuel to this:

The Mountaineer had pre-axle dumps...well, today I had the dual in, dual out Flow cut off and a y pipe, cat, and single in, single out Flowwaster put on (to pass inspection,  it) and it still sounds rumbly, just not as loud, and it's really not too audible inside now. Before, it was hard to conversate, let alone at all with the throttle stood on.

If you're single, young, have a lot of money for tickets, or the car is a straight up race car, I feel that dumps are at best borderline.
Otherwise, well, Foe said it best. Cutting corners.

Do the GT tails.
I ordered LX tips and the fit is not what I wanted. Hopefully I can cut the tips a bit when I have the exhaust welded and hung as it needs to be, and make 'em look a little less contrived or some shiznit.

Here's what I leave ya with: with dumps and quiet lers, it'll be louder inside than with louder lers and full tails, IMO. Not trying to give you bludgeon opinions, but I think it'll please the wife and kiddo....myself, my boy is already terrified of my car, and his first complaint is the loudness of it. So I kinda feel where ya might be coming from. Hope this helps :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

New lers

Reply #21
Hey like I said I appreciate everyone's opinion, no hard feelings here!  I was looking under my car today and I really don't think there is much point to going over the axle and dumping it...might as well just keep tail pipes. 

I think I may do as someone else suggested and just swap out the lers for something much quieter.  I still don't like how the tailpipes look, but they are stainless and should last darn near forever.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

New lers

Reply #22
Quote from: QUICKSHIFT;395994

I dont guess I follow what you mean, bud.  Do you mean full length headers or ???

New lers

Reply #23
Quote from: 50tbrd88;396009

I think I may do as someone else suggested and just swap out the lers for something much quieter.  I still don't like how the tailpipes look, but they are stainless and should last darn near forever.

Dynomax Super Turbos should get you what you want.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

New lers

Reply #24
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;396007
Here's what I leave ya with: with dumps and quiet lers, it'll be louder inside than with louder lers and full tails, IMO. :)

Mine is pretty quiet, almost too quiet.  Cant even hear it while driving.
Mike

New lers

Reply #25
Quote from: 50tbrd88;396012
I dont guess I follow what you mean, bud.  Do you mean full length headers or ???

....cut the dumps off and add a set of tail pipes to take the exhaust (and sound) up and over the axle to exit below the rear bumper. This way you keep your existing system and just move the sound to the back making the cabin more quiet without much change to what you hear outside.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

New lers

Reply #26
Quote from: QUICKSHIFT;396062
....cut the dumps off and add a set of tail pipes to take the exhaust (and sound) up and over the axle to exit below the rear bumper. This way you keep your existing system and just move the sound to the back making the cabin more quiet without much change to what you hear outside.

I have full tailpipes now w/shorty headers, Offroad h-pipe, and Pypes Violator lers.  I was thinking of putting in a much much quieter ler and then running dumps for the look.

Now I'm thinking about just going with a quieter ler and keeping the tailpipes.

New lers

Reply #28
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;396115
now you're on the right track

I still like the look of dumps :shakeass:, lol.  Thanks for the help.

New lers

Reply #29
Who is going to be on their knees looking at your dumps? Keep the tail pipes.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..