Skip to main content
Topic: New lers (Read 10022 times) previous topic - next topic

New lers

Saturday the family and I took my 'bird to a carshow with a friend from work.  It was the 1st time my 1 year old had ever been in my T-bird and the wife was not at all happy with how loud the car is.  She's thinks its too loud for my boy and does not want to ride in it much until I quiet things down.  You know what they say, "mama aint happy aint nobody happy".

My exhaust setup (shown in my sig) sounds awesome at idle or low RPM's but I will have to admit it is very loud at anything above 1/2 throttle.  It really has a straight-pipe sound to it at WOT, which I've honestly never been happy with.

I think the time has come to go with something quieter than my Pypes Violators (I know, I'm getting old).  Anyone have recommendations?  I would like to keep my off-road H-pipe and do dumps/no tailpipes as I like that look.  Would dumps cause more drone?  I'm not a huge fan of Flowmaster (but could be persuaded).

Anyone have advice on or even better yet, vids they want to post of similar setups to what I want?:bowdown:

On a side note, after Saturday's car show my buddy and I lined up our cars on a deserted county road.  His car is a '75 Nova w/warmed over 350.  I had him beat until I messed up the 2-3 shift! Doh!:burnout:
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

New lers

Reply #2
I only heard from some other people that they are nice and quiet until you stand on the loud pedal. I'm thinking of going that way myself when I get that far along.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

New lers

Reply #3
I like the quietness of the 50 series Flowmaster myself.  A nice, quiet, low frequency rumble only gives a hint of what might hide under the hood.  Even at WOT they aren't terribly loud and the 50 series mostly eliminates the droning... that and lizard skin ;)

New lers

Reply #4
I've got a bbk off road X and flowmaster 40's...nice and throaty, but not loud or obnoxious as some, let alone straight pipes, etc.

And dumps will more of the rumble/burble of the exhaust note into the cabin, depending on how far back they are.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

New lers

Reply #5
I had 40 series Flowmasters and to me, they were too loud. I had some stainless Dynomax lers installed. Still has a good sound, deep, and a LOT quieter on the highway now. I can talk without raising my voice.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

New lers

Reply #6
I'm running a pair of Flo-tech Terminators with high flow cats and an X pipe from Pypes and exit at the rear bumper. It has a nice rumble @ idle, quiet @ cruise, yet you know that there is something under the hood when I stand on it. If I were running dumps, it would be a totally different story.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

New lers

Reply #7
I wouldn't use dumps as they will make your car louder. I would keep the tail pipes and just change out the lers. I know DynoMax Super Turbo lers are pretty quiet, but they probably don't flow as well as what you have now. I run FlowTech Afterburner lers which are pretty loud under full throttle put they are fairly quiet under cruise with a nice burble. I have all the factory sound deadener so on the highway at 70 (engine is turning close to 3000 rpm due to the non lock up toque converter) with the A/C on the car is quiet enough to hold a normal volume conversation. With the windows down I hear more wind noise than engine noise at cruise. If I romp on it to pass someone it's pretty loud though :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

New lers

Reply #8
Definitely louder with dumps, the sound spreads out under the rear of the car, instead of straight out the back, as it would with tails.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

New lers

Reply #9
As it is now you have to raise your voice a tad at highway speeds.  Floorboard the loud pedal and its just insane.  My buddy said he could not even hear his car over mine Saturday when we raced.  lol, I'm pretty sure the Pypes lers are some of the loudest on the market.  I have never been around Dynomax but (no pun intended) it sounds like they may be what I'm looking for. 

Flowmaster makes a good ler but personally, I've never been that excited about how they sound.  Are the 50 series quieter than the 40 series?

Maybe if I went with something pretty quiet and combined it with dumps, it will achieve the sound I want.  I think going without tailpipes looks good on our cars and I've always like how dumps sound.  Another reason I want to get away from tailpipes is that I have a lot of trouble with sing.  I lost count of how many times my tailpipes sed this year on Power Tour.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

New lers

Reply #10
I currently have stock mustang headers, off road H, and some low mileage 94 cobra lers from my brothers car, dumped with turndowns.  It is very quiet while driving.

I bet some magnaflows or dynomax would be just fine for your car.
Mike

New lers

Reply #11
Dumps are many things, they're louder than tails, they're illegal (pretty much anywhere I'm aware of), they're unsafe (exhaust should exit the perimeter of the vehicle to avoid CO pooling and entry into the cabin), and if that weren't enough, dumps are a cop out.  You can get over that axle with 2.5, 2.75 or 3.0, or you can get "in and outs" and exit at the side in front of the wheels (hope you don't have dirty exhaust) 2k Cobra 'R' style.  It's not like you don't have a hundred options.

New lers

Reply #12
I don't plan on dumping the exhaust right off the ler at all, I was thinking of going up over the rear axle and then dumping them.  I just don't want tailpipes or tips sticking out.  There are TONS of cars that run dumps out there, some of which are very high dollar builds, so I don't think calling it a "cop out" is an accurate statement.  But that's your opinion.

I know 2.5 will go over the axle because that is what I'm currently running.  I just don't like how the shiny tailpipes look.  I guess I could do some stock looking turndowns and paint the tailpipes black or something so they are not noticable.

I think running exhaust out the side in front of the tire looks redneck unless done correctly, and I doubt any exhaust shops around me would do it to a very high standard.  Plus, running it out the sides seems louder to the occupants due to the sound waves bouncing off of every vehicle, building, etc you drive by.

New lers

Reply #13
I currently have stock mustang headers, off road H, and some low mileage 94 cobra lers from my brothers car, dumped with turndowns. It is very quiet while driving.

I bet some magnaflows or dynomax would be just fine for your car.

I may have to look into Dynomax, from what I've read elsewhere they are a popular choice over Flowmaster.  Sure are a ton of folks running dumps out there if you look on youtube...

New lers

Reply #14
Quote from: vinnietbird;395924
I had 40 series Flowmasters and to me, they were too loud. I had some stainless Dynomax lers installed. Still has a good sound, deep, and a LOT quieter on the highway now. I can talk without raising my voice.

Vinnie do you have any exhaust sound clips of your car?