Skip to main content
Topic: Storage (Read 864 times) previous topic - next topic

Storage

How would you guys go about storing a car for long periods of time, say a year? I've decided to join the Air Force. Most people would just sell their car....but not me. Storage would cost about 120 per month for a climate controlled unit. I also have an engine block, a rear axle, 8 wheels with tires, a T5 transmission and some other odds and ends to store. Like, 3 or 4 computers, clothes, video games. Stuff that I would only lose money by selling. Maybe not more than I would spend storing it, but why buy something twice?

But yeah, tank empty or full with gasoline with Stabil? On it wheels or jacked up on its suspension? Mothballs and mouse traps, or would a storage unit be enough to keep pests out? Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks fellas, you guys are always a great source of information. ;)
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Storage

Reply #1
Your LIFE, Your Money, Your Precious BIRD. No need to reason or explain you want to store it and want it to come out of storage just as nice as it went in. 

Well the best way in my opinion would go like this:

Jack it up and store it on the suspension. (it would do this any way storing it on the tires only this helps to save the tires)

I would get the fuel tank down to 1/4 or lower and Yes stabli/other gas storage chemical(Less gas in tank less to go bad and have to clean out if things don't work out right. Plus if things do go as planed less old gas in tank more room to add fresh gas)

Mothballs and mouse traps with and a climate controlled storage place wouldn't think you would needs these items. But once again that is if things go as planned. Yes I say use all these items even in climate controlled environment 

Must get car/boat cover to keep as much dust/dirt off and out of engine bay and interior along with inside the trunk

For the engine internals almost best to have someone come and start it up like once a week or so. Yeah right like that is gonna happen!!!!!! So while in the storage place start it up and spray fogging oil through throttle body to coat the intake internals not a lot it will get sucked in and stick inside there.(will burn off once you get it really warmed to norm temp again) With engine off pull all the plugs one at a time and Hose down through the plug hole with fogging oil and Fog that oil nice and deep inside each cylinder. (makes sure rust doesn't form and worst case rust seize the motor)

Then I would also take some oil and put that on an old rag/cloth/towel and give all rubber, trim, seals, brake hoses, exterior engine bay plastics, bare metal a rub over with the oily rag.

Maybe even go and lube all under body lube and moving parts, bushings, E-brake cables, cable pivots,ball joints, tie rods, swaybar end links, etc

Then give it a once over to make sure you did anything you could to keep rust from forming on any place. I know climate controlled place but power goes out/weather/things break/ stuff messes up building.

Also just to help with moisture throw a couple bags of charcoal on top of a plastic bag in the interior and maybe one in the trunk the same way. (charcoal will suck up the moisture and hold it in the charcoal and not in your car.

Maybe I left out a few things but my head is done with this one for now hope this helps give you a better idea on how to get it to come out of storage just as nice as it went in. I just looked at you bird like it was a Very expensive boat that I needed to store all winter outside up north where it would really cold enough to freeze and crack blocks and such, only didn't tell you to fill her up with RV antifreeze figure you already have regular antifreeze in the car.

Hoping to help
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Storage

Reply #2
Thanks! That's some great info, I appreciate it. Fogging oil seems like a great idea, I'll probably hit my spare engine block with it as well. My dad will probably give me a funny look for putting charcoal in my car, but it sounds like a good idea.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Storage

Reply #3
I've always put bounce dryer sheets in my car in the winter months to keep varmits out.  Seems to work great and smells way better than mothballs!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube