Skip to main content
Topic: Radiators (Read 2837 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiators

My stock and original radiator is showing its age and I'm looking to upgrade.  I am also still running the stock/original fan and fan clutch.  Last summer during the Power Tour the car was running quite warm (it got really hot when I turned on the A/C).

What aftermarket radiators (or OE) do you guys recommend?  Would I be dumb to not go ahead and upgrade to an electric fan?  Is an aluminum radiator really a big difference or is brass just as good?

Thoughts?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Radiators

Reply #1
When my radiator went, i bought a generic aluminum one on ebay. It was a lot lighter, but a little less sturdy. All and all I'm pretty happy with it. I bought it mainly because it was cheap, but aluminum should have better heat transfer too. As far as the fan goes, I would just change the clutch. The stock fan is a well designed piece. I like how quiet it runs. I don't like how the electric ones click on and off and tend to be noisy.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Radiators

Reply #2
I'm using this radiator, and it's been more than great since last summer (wicked heat here), and a Taurus fan. Stays cool all the time. Although with an automatic tranny, you'll need an aftermarket trans cooler, but that would be a good idea anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-FORD-MUSTANG-LX-GT-GLX-SVT-COBRA-MT-MANUAL-THREE-ROW-CORE-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-/150743958384?fits=Model:Mustang&hash=item23190a4370&item=150743958384&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Radiators

Reply #3
Thats a beaut^^^

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Radiators

Reply #4
Thanks guys.  I think going to electric fans would add some cooling potential and some eye appeal under the hood, but I am trying to keep costs down so I can do some other upgrades before power tour (alum driveshaft!!).  With what I've read, upgrading to electric fans pretty much requires upgrading to 3g alternator.  My current stock style alternator is just a few years old anyway, so I will probably just do the fan clutch as Bryan suggested.

Vinnie, if that aluminum radiator of yours can handle the sweltering heat you guys get in the summer, I am fairly confident it will be more than enough for Indiana weather.  lol.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Radiators

Reply #5
We got up to 118 this past summer, 125 or so with the "heat index". As I said, you'd need to run a tranny cooler though. I think I have a few. If so, you're welcome to have one for shipping.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Radiators

Reply #6
I have a seperate cooler on mine too, but the thought crossed my mind that maybe its better to have it in the radiator if you live somewhere where it gets very cold so the engine can actually bring the tranny fluid up to temp quicker.

Radiators

Reply #7
The tranny will probably bring the temp up on it's own pretty quick.

Radiators

Reply #8
Remember I have a T-5 now so no cooler needed! ;)  Hey I just discovered one more perk to having a stick shift.

Radiators

Reply #9
My rad guy got me a brass 3 row drop in to replace my stock 2 row. Since it had a trans cooler built in and I have a 5sp, I used it for a PS cooler. I added the flex-a-lite 185 with the variable speed controller as I'd already done the 3G upgrade. I went with an elect fan for the HP savings as well as a 1653 flowkooler WP (high flow CW or CCW rotation) and then added March undersize pulleys. In short a good 3 row brass with a stock HO clutch fan will do a good job.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Radiators

Reply #10
That's a very cool idea to use your old trans cooler for a PS cooler.

Radiators

Reply #11
Quote from: 50tbrd88;378944
That's a very cool idea to use your old trans cooler for a PS cooler.

yeah that's pretty neat. I  was just gonna plug mine off. Not now!
Quote from: 50tbrd88;378891
Thanks guys.  I think going to electric fans would add some cooling potential and some eye appeal under the hood, but I am trying to keep costs down so I can do some other upgrades before power tour (alum driveshaft!!).  With what I've read, upgrading to electric fans pretty much requires upgrading to 3g alternator.  My current stock style alternator is just a few years old anyway, so I will probably just do the fan clutch as Bryan suggested.

Vinnie, if that aluminum radiator of yours can handle the sweltering heat you guys get in the summer, I am fairly confident it will be more than enough for Indiana weather.  lol.

I haven't yet upgraded to 3G and I have no problems with my fan or the current draw. As for radiator, I bought the stock replacement unit from AZ and haven't had a problem with it in over 2 years. Granted, it hasn't been driven daily in about 1.5 years but still...
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Radiators

Reply #12
If you drive your car in colder temps, I recommend using a rad for an AOD along with your cooler
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Radiators

Reply #13
Quote from: 50tbrd88;378807
My stock and original radiator is showing its age and I'm looking to upgrade.  I am also still running the stock/original fan and fan clutch.  Last summer during the Power Tour the car was running quite warm (it got really hot when I turned on the A/C).

What aftermarket radiators (or OE) do you guys recommend?  Would I be dumb to not go ahead and upgrade to an electric fan?  Is an aluminum radiator really a big difference or is brass just as good?

Thoughts?

I'm still running the stock radiator on my T-bird and it cools fine. It never goes past the 1/2 mark even on hot days with the A/C on. I think your problem is the stock fan and fan clutch. If they really are the ones that came with the car from the factory then they need to be replaced. I have a HO fan clutch and a 9 blade HO fan on my car and it cools fine, even in hot weather with the A/C set on 68*.

Replacing the stock fan and fan clutch is cheap and easy!:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Radiators

Reply #14
Quote from: 50tbrd88;378942
Remember I have a T-5 now so no cooler needed! ;)  Hey I just discovered one more perk to having a stick shift.

Then I say get the radiator I have. Nice, sturdy, inexpensive, good looking, highly functional, and can easily be polished............Yeah, I'm thinking about it.