Skip to main content
Topic: WHAT WAYS to make the T-BIRD LIGHTER???? (Read 5823 times) previous topic - next topic

WHAT WAYS to make the T-BIRD LIGHTER????

Reply #15
Definitely do the manual seat swap - those power seat tracks are unbelieveably heavy. I was considering swapping the power seat tracks from the parts TC until I actually lifted them. Pull the wiring harnesses for the power seats as well - it'd save about ten pounds and make your seat tracks that much more desirable if you want to sell them.

You will need the tracks from a Fox T-Bird or Cougar (and possibly Mark VII). Although any Fox track will bolt up to any Fox seat, only T-Bird/Cougar tracks will bolt up to your floor. Mustang tracks are different. Dunno about other Foxes such as Continentals, LTD's, Fairmonts, etc.

You can 86 the spare, but carry a can of fix-a-flat and a cell phone.

You can also save weight by doing an aluminum-headed engine (TFS. Holley, Edelbrock, FMS, etc) but of course they're expensive. You do get the double benefit of light weight and more power tho. Yanking the AOD and tossing a T-5 in will save you quite a bit of weight in addition to using less power (parasitic loss) and of course it would make the car more fun to drive :D Tubular headers, even stock Fox Mustang units, weigh considerably less than cast manifolds and flow better to boot, so there's a weight saving with extra power too. Catalytic converters are quite heavy so if you can get away with an off-road exhaust go for it. Without the cats the smog pump is useless, so deep-six it (properly, so your accessories and belt still function)

Tubular K-member and control arms would shave a fair chunk as well. Fiberglass hood and trunklid would shave a few. Lightweight racing buckets, lightweight wheels (such as Weld Draglights) - there's a few pounds. Depending on how serious you are about weight loss you could even install a manual steering rack, then kiss the pump and hoses goodbye.

If you've got an LX or TC you could save a few pounds by installing the thinner (and lighter) carpet from a base car - a lot of effort for not much weight savings, but while the carpet is out you could pull the insulation. You could even se that ashphalt-like black stuff off the floor pans, but be prepared for some droning and road noise.

If you're really, REALLY serious you could even open up wiring harnesses and remove all unessecary wires. When Ford made the harnesses they included wiring for options your car doesn't necessarily have, and if you remove options that's even more wiring you can pull. Copper is heavy. For instance, if you decide you don't need a stereo you also don't need the wiring. If you go with manual windows, locks and seats, you don't need their wiring either. Be careful doing this, though - if the wire is connected to something (other than what you're removing) you probably need it.

Losing weight isn't the only thing that'll help - you can move it around, too. For example, moving the battery to the trunk will result in a slight net increase in weight due to the longer cables, but it'll remove about 60-75 pounds from the front end and put it in the rear, over the drive axle.

Basically, the easiest way to look at everything in the car and ask yourself "Do I need it?"
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #16
Fiberglass hood, front fenders, doors...  I know of one company, at least, that makes a one-piece front facia/fenders.

Replace all the glass but the windshield with Lexan.

Titanium drive shaft, aluminum differential center section, aluminum/titanium trailing arms

Yeah, it's BIG bucks, but it depends on how serious you are about losing weight.

Of course the driver can make a difference too. Try bulemia. :D

Reply #17
Take a big poop before you race.....

It depends on how much noise and such you want to put up with.  The back half of the interior of my 83 (rear seat area/trunk) is still stripped and it's annoying as hell driving it around town.  Personally I think excessive weight reduction is not worth it on a street car, or at least one you plan on driving on a regular basis.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #18
You can take the bumper supports off.  That'll save a few pounds.

Reply #19
stellar post Carm...well done!

also can consider aluminum trailing arms and driveshaft, losing the harmonic ballancers off the rear diff, sway bar removal (drag raceing) or you can at least get one of the hollow mustang bullit ones. they can break but are way lighter than the tbird bars.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #20
I had (still do now that I think about it) a thread dospoogeenting the weight loss of my TCs. The free things you can do are generally very time consuming and it's really up to you if it's worth it or not, but all I can say is all those little things add up.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #21
hmm now im really thinkin bout this and im bout to do some stuff to this t bird. i want it a little lighter cause it is a heavy sucker. How many pounds is a 88 t bird lx with a 5.0 aod??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]5.0 Standard
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
Magnaflow mustang exhaust
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

Reply #22
3600 lbs - ish,

~John~

Reply #23
I had mine weighed at the local s yard,and it was 3405.I have a 5.0 and AOD.I have smog and a/c delete (removed everything pertaining to both),off road x-pipe instead of the heavy h-pipe with cats,headers instead of the heavy cast iron manifolds.Once I pull the dash,I'll remove the un-necassary a/c stuff from there also.I want to keep the car quiet inside and keep a nice ride,so I'm not removing the sound deadener.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Lighter

Reply #24
So you can street race? Fool
Welcome to AMERICA...........Learn to speak english!

To ALL my fellow Veterans........Thanks!

U. S. Army 1971 - 1974

1990 35TH Anni Super Coupe
1992 Five Speed Super Coupe
1994 4.6 LX Thunderbird
1995 4.6 LX Thundebird

Reply #25
he said nothing of street raceing bud. so much bs lately wtf?

~John~

Reply #26
Quote from: shame302;107332
he said nothing of street raceing bud. so much bs lately wtf?

i agree, lately it seems like everybody is ripping into someone over the littlest of things....hey man, you said a elephant, its aN elephent, go back to school, your retarded, blah blah blah, bah humbug.....its getting ridiculous :shakehead
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #27
FYI I'm fairly certain that Fox seat tracks won't bolt into Thunderbirds & Cougars. I compared my old Mustang's seat tracks where they bolted to the floor, to my Thunderbird, and they're definitely different.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #28
FWIW, I ordered the mustang seat mounts made for plastic or "Kirkey" style seats. The guys at Holcomb Motorsport didn't know if they would fit my 88 TC.  I did have to drill new mounting holes in the floor, and fab up 1 inch spacers to bring up the rear of the mount. I tried some adjustable seat sliders but they mounted the seat too high for NHRA specs(I'm 6'1" and with helmet was too close to the cage) Without the sliders it will be legal though. I need to weld up large thick washers under the newly drilled holes for safety's sake. Hope this helps on the seat selection part of it.
TC#1- 2.5T- 10.14@134....9.76@138 with a 50shot
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #29
Quote from: Red_LX;107413
FYI I'm fairly certain that Fox seat tracks won't bolt into Thunderbirds & Cougars. I compared my old Mustang's seat tracks where they bolted to the floor, to my Thunderbird, and they're definitely different.

heh, im running 79 fox stang seat tracks in my t-bird :D

the manual ones work fine..