Skip to main content
Topic: WHAT WAYS to make the T-BIRD LIGHTER???? (Read 5824 times) previous topic - next topic

WHAT WAYS to make the T-BIRD LIGHTER????

hey I wanna make my t bird as light as possible . What are all the things i can do for all this to happen??  Is it a bad thing if i do it??? let me know thanks.

ERIC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]5.0 Standard
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
Magnaflow mustang exhaust
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

Reply #1
Well, taking all of teh sound deadning is a great start. say 20lbs, give or take. If your going to race it then the ac can go too. If you have power seats those are heavy, so you could loose those for a manual set and save so weight there. All of this is good thoughts or what I have heard, not proven by me.

Reply #2
There are a few things you can do. You can pull the passenger and rear seat. If you want to keep both front seats, you could swap to manual tracks.
You could gut the trunk, but you're in trouble if you get a flat tire. I suppose all of the carpet and insulation could add up to a few pounds.
Other than that, there's not too much you can do.
Are you trying to autocross the car?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Beat me to it, 84 Fila. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
well i wanna make it a street car that just drag races and as well us the car for daily use.  So far I gutted out the trunk . were can i get manuel seat tracks? cause i have both seats electric.  should i pull out the smog pump and the emissions garbage?  Any otehr suggesttions guys???

ERIC
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

Reply #5
It depends really on what you're doing with the car.  If you don't mind a lot of noise you can pull out all the insulation and deadening under the carpet like 84Fila says.  You could also go in search of all manual accessories, like crank windows, manual locks, etc.  If it's legal and you don't mind doing it, you can pull all the smog equipment  and cats from your car.  There's a good 100# or so there.

Reply #6
I don't think that you can run out our cars without it. The manual seats out of any fox, tempo/topaz and I think probe will fit out brackets. The manual should match up too.
Sorry bro, I've learned a few things around here

Reply #7
I think there is a "point of diminishing returns."
You can cover every last part, including crank windows... but it won't make that much of a difference.

As far as the manual seat tracks are concerned, search your boneyards. Find some Fox chassis cars with manual seats. The motors in the power tracks are HEAVY, so there is a benefit in losing both power seats.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
, 84 Fila! That's twice you've beaten me in the same thread.
I give up. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
My '85 with CFI runs excellent (as excellent as CFI can run, anyway) with no smog pump, no cats and a blocked EGR.

Reply #10
Smog pumps are not needed, you just have to properly remove it.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #11
thanks alot guys for helping me out but it there is anything else, let me know :)

ERIC
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

Reply #12
Cut the roof off.

Just kidding...

Reply #13
I bet if you take the p. seats out, sound deadning stuff, ac/smog bullshiznit, and even as far as the radio gone, you can save about 150-200 lbs. A sheer guess but I bet i'm close.

Reply #14
haha
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs