Skip to main content
Topic: speed limiter.... (Read 2468 times) previous topic - next topic

speed limiter....

On an '88 Sport is the fuel cutoff regulated by rpm's or indicated speed?:bowdown:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

speed limiter....

Reply #1
Anyone???  :bowdown:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

speed limiter....

Reply #2
I didn't know they had a shutoff to be honest!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

speed limiter....

Reply #3
I was showing the taillights to some ricerboy in his Cobalt last night, and the car just layed down at high speed. I let off the gas and it picked back up, so I thought I must have hit some kind of limiter.Dunno.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

speed limiter....

Reply #4
My car falls flat (stock 5.0 HO) at about 4500 rpm in any gear, lol.  If you look at the stock hp and torque ratings for Fox Mustangs, they make their peak hp at only like 4200 rpms. 

As far as I know they keep pulling until they run out of motor.  When I was younger and dumber I tickled 120 mph with my 'bird a few times.  That was about all she had in her though.  I'm afraid to even try now.  My luck I'd hit a deer or meet a cop, etc.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

speed limiter....

Reply #5
The TCs have an rpm limiter I don't know about the sports.
...and there was light!

speed limiter....

Reply #6
Quote from: cougarman;385409
I was showing the taillights to some ricerboy in his Cobalt last night, and the car just layed down at high speed. I let off the gas and it picked back up, so I thought I must have hit some kind of limiter.Dunno.

Ricerboy in a cobalt? But cobalts are made by GM, lol.

speed limiter....

Reply #7
Quote from: jpc647;385425
Ricerboy in a cobalt? But cobalts are made by GM, lol.
  They are just Toyotas in disguise...lol, and he did a "ricer" flyby after. Tried in again this morning on the way home, and right at 3000 rpm it hit the limiter. Dunno, weird.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

speed limiter....

Reply #8
Mine is speed limited. 

By my LO PO 5.0
Mike

speed limiter....

Reply #9
Lopo's have a limiter near 108mph in 88 only. My wagon does not have one. You can cut the vss wire suposedly without issue, but I have never had an 88, or needed to go over 108mph. The 86-87's definately did not though, and could do well over that if you were stupid enough to. I got the digi dash to 134mph when I was 16.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

speed limiter....

Reply #10
Quote from: cougarman;385509
They are just Toyotas in disguise...lol, and he did a "ricer" flyby after. Tried in again this morning on the way home, and right at 3000 rpm it hit the limiter. Dunno, weird.

you can't do over 3000 in ANY gear, or just in in OD??
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

speed limiter....

Reply #11
Quote from: Haystack;385584
Lopo's have a limiter near 108mph in 88 only. My wagon does not have one. You can cut the vss wire suposedly without issue, but I have never had an 88, or needed to go over 108mph. The 86-87's definately did not though, and could do well over that if you were stupid enough to. I got the digi dash to 134mph when I was 16.

Well that is what it is then. If you compute the speed with rpm, gear ratio and tire diameter it comes out right around 108 mph.

Quote from: sarjxxx;385595
you can't do over 3000 in ANY gear, or just in in OD??

I installed 3.55 gears and haven't changed the VSS gear yet, so 3000 is over 100mph. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

speed limiter....

Reply #12
Quote from: cougarman;385509

There is not a Toyota part on a Cobalt. They're GM through and through.

Some 1988's had the speed limiter and some didn't. My 88 Cougar did not, I had it showing 199 km/hr and was still pulling on my sister's ex's '84 Cutlass. My '88 T-bird did have it though.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

speed limiter....

Reply #13
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;385624
There is not a Toyota part on a Cobalt. They're GM through and through.

Some 1988's had the speed limiter and some didn't. My 88 Cougar did not, I had it showing 199 km/hr and was still pulling on my sister's ex's '84 Cutlass. My '88 T-bird did have it though.

My '88 did not have a speed limiter either.  I could swap it over to kph, run it, and then do the math to convert the rated kph over to mph.  I had it up to nearly 120 mph on a long, open stretch of road a couple of times when it was dead stock.  (Again, young and dumb).

That's really odd that some do have limiters and some don't.

speed limiter....

Reply #14
Before I did "bondocougars" 199mph speedo mod, I maxed my speedo out on kph a lot. I was a really stupid kid. I remember doing cigarette runs to nevada and wyoming when I was 18(19 is legal age in utah.). I would get to either state line, buy a carton of smokes, and be back in less then 2 hours. At the speedlimit(75 for nevada, 65 for wyoming) both take over an hour and a half each way. I always made fun of all my freinds when we took there cars because of how "long" it took us to make the trip because of their speed limiters.

I could have killed myself so many times. One day just like switching a light switch I just got over it. I don't think I have even maxxed out my crownvics 85mph speedo come to think of it. And we used to have a 80mph speed limit right down the street. I only maxed out my old thunderbirds once, and that's because I wasn't watching my speed in thesame 80mph speed limit.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com