Skip to main content
Topic: LED Bulb Conversion (Whole Car) (Read 12435 times) previous topic - next topic

LED Bulb Conversion (Whole Car)

Reply #45
If the same 168/194 led replacement  you are using in the 84, works in the 86, I see no reason it shouldn't work on the 84.
I have no knowledge or experience with leds and what supporting electrical components they require.
But if you are selling something as a replacement for a 168/194 incandescent bulb it should have all the electrical components required built into it.
If it works in the 86 then apparently it does.

Reply #48
Wow, lotta stuff going on in that socket.
Is there continuity between the center tabs and either  of the side tabs?
What is the part number of the bulb above and the led you are using?
Can you post a picture of the led?
Are there any burn marks on the socket tabs or the led?

Reply #49
That center tab is the problem. Have no idea why its there.....but it's got to go! What I came up with, is the fact that the tab is connected to one side of the power contact to help stabilize the bulb in the socket when the glove box door is slammed shut. The center of the bulb is glass therefore no conductivity. The center of the LED bulb is conductive so it acts like a dead short. Looks like a socket replacement / modification is necessary. The next thing is me going out to do the work to prove my theory......after I recover from bronchitis!
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #50
The bulb is a 194. No burn marks anywhere. I tested again today with a different LED bulb (this is now the third one) and again the fuse popped immediately. Here are the LED bulbs I tried so far (leftmost bulb is stock):

Quickshift...your theory sounds about right. In the '84 I have those center tab clips pushed all the way down so that they don't even touch the bulb base. The stock incandescent bulb still works just fine but the LEDs still blow the fuse. I do not remember the center tabs testing as 'hot' but will try testing again when I can.

Reply #51
I am guessing the lamp you posted a picture of in post #48 is your spare part. The one with the wires to the connector cut off.

On the spare lamp, skin some insulation off the wire ends so you can attach one of your OHM meter leads.
Determine if there is continuity between the ground or the hot wire and either of the center tabs in the socket. For one of the wires you will have to push the switch button.
If you find there is NO connection between the ground or hot wire and the center tabs, I have a modification to the led I will suggest you try.

On the 194 bulb I have, the wires come out the end of the glass envelope and wrap to opposite sides of the glass envelope.

On the LEDs pictures you posted, the wires come out of the fat part of the envelope and go down and wrap around to the opposite side. So the contact wires are on both sides of the plug-in part of the envelope.  The wires look to be a heaver gauge than on the 194 and maybe a little closer to the center.
I suspect the wires are bridging the gap between the center and outer tabs in the socket.  If the center tab is not connected to either hot or ground in the socket then the LED wires bridging the gap is only a problem if they bridge both gaps on the same side of the socket.

I suggest you try cutting the LED wires so they don't wrap around to the opposite side.  Hopefully the wires are stiff enough to not buckle when you plug it in.
You may have to figure out a way to keep the wire from buckling.

Or another thought, a way to insulate the wires so they only make contact on opposite sides of the socket.

Reply #52
I got a chance to work on this today. Of the two center clips, one was indeed 12v+. So that is the problem for sure...even with both center tabs bent all the way down, something must have still been making contact.

Taking softtouch's suggestion, I taped off a test bulb so that only one of the two contacts are showing, similar to a stock 194 bulb:

And then hooked up the battery with crossed fingers...

...annnddd SUCCESS!!!

It's not the bulb I really wanted to use but it'll do for now. I'll likely use some liquid Teflon tape on the desired bulb and try that at a later time. For now I'm just doing a little victory dance.

Thanks to softtouch and everyone else that gave suggestions.

Reply #53
Good news!!
I think the led bulbs only working one way in the socket is a voltage polarity thing. Since the D in LED stands for Diode.

Reply #54
Quote from: softtouch;466137
Good news!!
I think the led bulbs only working one way in the socket is a voltage polarity thing. Since the D in LED stands for Diode.

yep, that's correct. Some of the "fancier" bulbs have a regulator of sorts inside that can change the direction of polarity on the fly as I understand it but traditionally it's always a good idea to test your LED bulbs before you put the sockets all back together and button everything up... Go ahead, ask me how I know :hick:

Eric that looks great. Was that the last bulb? Everything fully converted now?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #55
Yeah Steve, it's all done now. Still have to aim the headlamps on the '84 and take some photos of everything. Hoping to have that done this week sometime, weather permitting.

Reply #56
Quote from: EricCoolCats;466176
Yeah Steve, it's all done now. Still have to aim the headlamps on the '84 and take some photos of everything. Hoping to have that done this week sometime, weather permitting.

It's been almost two months Eric. TWO MONTHS
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #58
Lots of time spent sitting in the car staring at the beautiful glove box LED light. :D
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #59
*Clears throat*

It's N O V E M B E R.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!