Skip to main content
Topic: Coil spring paint (Read 1198 times) previous topic - next topic

Coil spring paint

Anyone have luck painting coil springs & having it stick.  I assume the flexing is rough on enamel.

What paint did you use & how is it holding up?
Thanks

Coil spring paint

Reply #1
If you get springs from Oklahoma, they already look new and fresh. No painting needed. Even if they're 25 years old. Ask Jerry (Daminc).
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Coil spring paint

Reply #2
Thanks Vinnie.  Mine aren't bad but they are out.  It seems I can't remove a part & re-install it without a fresh coat of paint.

Coil spring paint

Reply #3
A thin coat of paint whether it is enamel or urethane should be fine. Flex additives are needed for flexible plastic parts, but most paint will flex quite a bit without, you should be fine with using whatever you want on the springs as long as the film thickness is not excessive. How it holds up has more to do with the prep and correct primer than anything. If you are sand blasting, or cleaning  the springs to bare steel, I would etch prime them before painting for adhesion and rust protection.

Coil spring paint

Reply #4
Thanks.  I'll see if I can locate some urethane if not I'll stick with enamel .  Either way I'll keep the coats thin.