Skip to main content
Topic: A Few A/C Part Questions (Read 1135 times) previous topic - next topic

A Few A/C Part Questions

Im collecting a few parts to replace the lines for my a/c so i can get it running 100% and cant get a solid answer on a few things.

First, what is the "correct part" or part number for my car regarding the liquid line going from the condenser to the firewall?
There is 3 different ones that ive found and its hard to tell which one is the right one because they all say they fit, i know they all cant.

Second, i have an 83 with what is considered dealer installed air with the hr980 compressor with press fit (spring) connectors, what o-ring kit do i need for my car?

I lucked out and found a nos compressor to condenser line since i couldnt find the right one for that in anybodys database and looks very different than the pics they all had.

"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Re: A Few A/C Part Questions

Reply #1
What engine?

What website are you using to do interchange? Rockauto shows 2 lines for the 3.8/5.0. Factory or dealer air.

Reply #2
What engine?

What website are you using to do interchange? Rockauto shows 2 lines for the 3.8/5.0. Factory or dealer air.

Its for a early 3.8 carb v6 with dealer installed air.
Im using ebay since im trying to find a nos or original one, but most of what i can find is the aftermarket(like 4seasons and such) part numbers for the later ones. The parts stores sites brings up a million mustang ones with it. If they are the same thats fine but i want to be sure.
I havent been to the tbird lately but i dont recall seeing a part number on that part on it when i was going over the a/c before.
I really need to know what o ring kit i need for this car before i start pulling apart anything.

Edit:
I wanted to add this pic i could dig up since this is really whats throwing me off.

It "looks" like an orifice repair/replacement but its only a single connector, all the repair kits ive seen are a small piece of tubing that has connectors on both ends and replaces the whole section. Is this stock or a repair to the stock tube?

Reply #3
You can get an orifice "repair" kit that splices into the existing hose, or a whole new hose that has one in it.

Also, just grab a universal o-ring kit of some sort if you're unsure. They're not that expensive.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
You can get an orifice "repair" kit that splices into the existing hose, or a whole new hose that has one in it.

Also, just grab a universal o-ring kit of some sort if you're unsure. They're not that expensive.

Im replacing the line along with all the others and wanted to know the actual original part number for it since i wanted a nos one, i think its yf-1170.
I wanted to find just a kit for the o rings since they seem to make them for every car, but i got my mustangs a/c to go over so i may as well buy one of those universal kits with like 1000 o rings so i can do that one too.
I have another hr980 compressor and was going to see what it takes to replace the bearing seal, i have some tools for that.

Reply #5
HR980 should be factory air. Does your condenser look like this?

That's a factory condenser (the original was tube/fin).

Reply #6
HR980 should be factory air. Does your condenser look like this?

That's a factory condenser (the original was tube/fin).

No, it doesnt have all that extra metal stuff on the sides and you can see the elbows on it clearly.

When i was searching around for condensors the ones that specified dealer installed air looked just like the one i have.

Reply #7
Take a picture of the inlet/outlet fittings. The tube/fin you've shown is pretty much the same between factory and dealer.

Reply #8
Itll have to wait till the weekend to get you those pics, those pics are from when i replaced the radiator awhile ago.

Reply #9
Do you have a link for the dealer installed condensers you were looking at?

Reply #10
Do you have a link for the dealer installed condensers you were looking at?

This is the one i purchased since it specified "dealer install" in the notes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392394992349?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D250024%26meid%3D3adb773c79b34929b0b8f96111d5f59f%26pid%3D101666%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D392394992349%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2%26brand%3DOSC&_trksid=p2380057.c101666.m5481&_trkparms=pageci%3A70fd4506-04cc-11ee-9ef7-a63699aa0f1f%7Cparentrq%3A934fce591880a64db1038b88fffa58cc%7Ciid%3A1

I cant go by the pics since they are almost always generic.
Supposedly it was delivered today but im at work so i wont know untill i get home tomorrow.

Reply #11
That is a factory A/C condenser.

3511 is the part number for the dealer version.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1983,thunderbird,3.8l+232cid+v6,1140095,heat+&+air+conditioning,a/c+condenser,6708

Here is the 3511.
https://www.carid.com/osc-heat-transfer-products/a-c-condenser-mpn-3511.html

Dealer option used an FS6 compressor. Factory is HR980 -at least for '83.
https://www.polarbearinc.com/PBPC/Homepage/Search/Co/CO_Ford_11.html#Anchor-THUNDERBIRD

Reply #12

Well that sucks, atleast itll still work.
Its weird that according to that polarbearinc chart the 82 3.8 tbird had the fs6 as factory, but the 83 didnt.
I know the hr980 wasnt out untill 83 but the hr980 looks so much more tacked onto the motor than the fs6 does.

Reply #13
Unless you find an original NOS one, you're probably not going to find a match to your old one. The newer ones are more efficient and better suited to r134A anyway.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #14
I've never seen what a dealer air kit looks like. The later 3.8s had a 6P148A that used 1 serpentine belt instead of the extra v-belt for the HR980.

The HR980 setup makes sense for the time because air conditioning was still an option. The easiest way to have that is to just slap a compressor on the accessory setup.

Are you running R134A or R12? The NOS liquid lines will have a blue (R12) orifice tube, the new ones will have an orange (R134a).
You don't want a NOS acspoogeulator as that has a desiccant pack in it. They go bad over time.

You bought a piccolo condenser. They're better than the tube/fin condenser that originally came in it but a parallel flow is better.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9787540&cc=1140095&pt=6708&jsn=8