Skip to main content
Topic: Added another Fox to the fleet - 1985 Marquis LTS (Read 3452 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Added another Fox to the fleet - 1985 Marquis LTS

Reply #15
Well I can honestly say I’ve never seen one of those.  I love weird/rare stuff like this.  Nice score, Chuck.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #16
Well, been working on this thing as time has allowed.

Got it out for its first drive today. Just a couple miles to get more gas in it, but it was a pretty successful ride.

Need to do the heater core and then get the interior back together, but this is a definite milestone.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #17
Well, when we last left off back in Dec, I had a bunch of work to do in the interior. Foul weather slowed me down during Jan/Feb, but things finally started to clear up in March.

One of the first projects was to replace the heater core.

The heater core itself was easy. However, investigations of the fan housing revealed more work...

Lost a couple weeks finding/waiting on a new fan housing (Which is the same as the TBirds or that era). Was mis-listed on ebay as for a 99-04 Mustang... (Found it from a Google search of the housing PN stamped on it)

I had to also rebuild the HVAC switch unit.

We'll see how long the repair on the (vacuum) selector switch holds.

Swapped out the sad steering wheel for one I had on the shelf

Pulled the old carpet out to install the new stuff

and found this...

All that rust was from the inside and not seen underneath except for a couple small holes.

So I had to repair a bunch of stuff.

and got the carpet in

Had to swap all of the manual window regulators for the power ones and install a vapor barrier.

Then I cleaned all of the seats and put the rest of the interior together.

And grabbed some matching floormats.

A couple more details to sort out, but it's on the ground and set of driving.

Reply #18
That field mouse was a busy dude.  Any idea how the water got into the car to rust if from the inside out or do you think it was just prior neglect like leaving the windows down?

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #19
That field mouse was a busy dude.  Any idea how the water got into the car to rust if from the inside out or do you think it was just prior neglect like leaving the windows down?

As I found out, it didn't have a windshield in it for probably 4-5 years. Tarps only keep so much out.

That and at least one of the front windows was slightly open all of the time.

Reply #20
Well, this is currently in regular driving rotation. It gets driven once or twice a week by either me or my wife.

I need to address the rear suspension before I let her get it on the interstate, though. The rear is a bit "loose", more than likely due to old suspension bushings in the RCAs and a little wonky roll axis because the car is a bit "raked".
Just going to poly bush and box a set of stock arms and put new rubber in the axle ears. Also going to do the "anti-squat" mod and drop the rear mounting point of the RLCA a bit. This will also help bring the rear ride height down a bit.

Gathering parts to get the AC functional again. At some point, one of the lines was cut, so I ordered a new drier, condenser, lines, etc. and will button things up and see if it holds vacuum. If so, I'll do a R134 retrofit on it and get the cold air blowing.

I've also begun pondering an engine swap for it.
Since it is staying a driver and also needs to remain an auto, I think I have a plan.

Looking at the 3.7 V6 from an 2011-2014 Mustang, with the 6R80. Some folks are already fussing about it. To me, 305hp and 30mpg in a light package seems like a good choice. Found a swap done in a '99 Mustang for a proof-of-concept that it can be done and keep the stock engine/trans management. I could do stand-alone engine and trans control, but seeing as we're not going to mod this, there's no need. Not interested in a built SBF, or messing with a 4.6 mod motor. The Coyote is just too ed expensive for my budget, and we don't need 500hp in this thing.

Planning on getting parts (or a donor car) at some point later this year, I think.

Reply #21
Looks like it is doing well.

The 3.7/6R80 combo, the computer will be from the donor car?  Do you have someone to program the body control / PATS etc out of it?
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #22
The 3.7/6R80 combo, the computer will be from the donor car?  Do you have someone to program the body control / PATS etc out of it?

If I get a complete car, yes. If not it will be purchased separately. I have a contact for someone who can do it, if not it's something readily available.

The guy who did the '99 swap used an engine and trans. Bought a trans harness, a swap harness for a Coyote (and modified it) and installed a stock ECU that had the PATS removed from it. He even kept the return-less fuel set-up.

Reply #23
Do those 3.7 sixxers tend to survive a hairdryer hanging off the side?

I admittedly know little about them, but am intrigued.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #24
Do those 3.7 sixxers tend to survive a hairdryer hanging off the side?
I admittedly know little about them, but am intrigued.

The 3.5's are the EcoBoost version.

This car won't get boosted.

Reply #25
thats exactly what i would've done, home grown solution.  i like this thread.

btw, i had no idea this car had factory dual snorkle air cleaner.

i know you mentioned tossing the cfi stuff but.. investigate the 351 80's/90's bronco or trucks.
those eec's may be the power adder solution rather than grooming in a new eec harness.  all the truck eecs i mention only have two injector pin outs which is what you have now on that car.

Reply #26
Ahh...brings me to query if the RWD 3.7 has the same water pump (internal) as the fwd versions....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #27
Ahh...brings me to query if the RWD 3.7 has the same water pump (internal) as the fwd versions....

Doesn't look like it. Looks to be external.

Reply #28
Waaaaay better!!  You get the rear suspension issues settle and that car will be a fun one to drive.

That instrument cluster looks like it would fit a 83/84 Cougar or TBird.  Would be a slick way of getting a functioning tach.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #29
That instrument cluster looks like it would fit a 83/84 Cougar or TBird.  Would be a slick way of getting a functioning tach.

The dash is the same as the 80-82 TBirds/XR-7's.
The clusters physically fit, but there are a couple wiring changes needed.

When I had my old white 80 XR-7, I swapped an 83-84TC cluster into it. The tach worked, but I never got around to "fixing" it properly (4cyl tach on a 8cyl engine)