Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8L Mechanical Fuel Pump interchangeability ? (Read 2442 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8L Mechanical Fuel Pump interchangeability ?

Hello, I'm curious if the 1983 carbureted Tbird 3.8L mechanical fuel pump will interchange with later fuel injected 3.8L blocks. 
If the last year for the carb was 83 and the first year for throttle body fuel injection was 84, I would not expect Ford to redesign the entire block just to eliminate the mechanical fuel pump. That said, it would only make sence to change the timing cover, or add a block off plate to delete the mechanical pump.  I suspect the year the Tbird switched to serpintine belt there was likely a change in the block, or atleast the timing cover.   Anyone know any details ?

Re: 3.8L Mechanical Fuel Pump interchangeability ?

Reply #1
Was the spot for the mechanical fuel pump in the block or the timing cover?
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #2
I'm not sure.    I don't have an 83 with a mechanical pump, but I'm trying to building one.
I've already bought the distributor, dura spark and intake.  Let me tell you, finding that intake is hard !  Even though you may find them listed at junk yards, I've contacted about 20 yards that had them listed as inventory, only to be told it was no longer available.  All I need now is the block, but I'm not sure if I can use later models, or not.

Reply #3
I am not familiar enough with the 3.8 to know if it's similar to the Windsor motors that have it on the timing cover.  I just double checked on 351 on the stand.

Looking through the '88 shop manual it appears there is a timing cover and Google searching '83 3.8 shows the fuel pump on the passenger side on the front but not sure if it is on the cover but would make sense.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #4
I don't know who else to ask.  I posted here and on foureyedpride.   I'm pretty certain the later mustang blocks are different.  Just not sure about when the Tbird/Cougars started changing.

Reply #5
Posting some pics from the 84 Shop Manual.
They still made the Carb version of the 3.8 V6 in 84 & 85 for sale in Canada.
The mechanical fuel pump and the distributor  are in the timing chain cover (they call it the front cover).
The pump actuating eccentric is part of the cam shaft. Not a bolt on like the V8s.
Makes sense they would make a cover for the pump hole when they were making the same engine for the CFI version.
How long the actuating eccentric stayed on the cam shaft is another question.  Note: Click pic corner arrow to make more readable.

Reply #6
How long the actuating eccentric stayed on the cam shaft is another question. 
On Rockauto, my '87 cam doesn't cross reference back to '83. Per Babpen 15s:

The cam thrust button was replaced by a half-moon thrust plate as a running change very early in 1984, so there were two drilled pads added to the front of the block to accommodate the change. Look for an E4AE casting.

It sorta looks like the '87 cam has a pump eccentric on it...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184539147784?nma=true&si=sXGbqGUdBDK7LwkJrONdB0o%252FPts%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here's an article that goes into various parts on the engine that changed over the years:

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2001/09/rebuilding-the-ford-3-8l-engine/

Reply #7
Don't suppose the cams for the 3.8 (up to '88, anyway) have the same Ford part #, do they?

(too lazy to look, well, more like not enough time LOL)

N/M, just read Jermey's post...d'oh. Carry on..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
I missed the picture on the Babpen 15s article. Fuel pump eccentric on the cam went away in '88.

The answer to your FEP post is no. Won't work.

Reply #10
Was 87 the first year for serpentine belt 3.8L ?

Reply #12
'83 for these cars