Skip to main content
Topic: '83 - '86 Body parts Interchangable? (Read 4025 times) previous topic - next topic

'83 - '86 Body parts Interchangable?

The previous owner "customized" the front end and put mark VII headlights and side  lights on the car. They dont fit right and the front end will need alot of body work to look clean when painted I want to put a turbo coupe front end on it. Do I need to get the prts all from the same year or can I mix years? ex: bumper assembly off a 1984, R fender off a 1985 & L fender off 1986.

Thank you
[/SIGPIC]1983 Thunderbird
Lincoln Mark VII front
5 Lug Conversion, Ford Racing 8.8 rear end, Gearstsr level 3 AOD trans, Blueprint Engine 347 Stroker, roller cam, Edelbrock Carb, no smog, Headman Headers to custom H-pipe, Magnaflow lers
450+ HP, 410 ft lb to rear. My "Frankenstien"

'83 - '86 Body parts Interchangable?

Reply #3
The cougar and tbird front ends and lenses are different. The tc/xr7 fron ends are slightly different from base ones. The fenders are the same, trim and curtously lamps are slightly different.

You could also put an 87-88 front end on if you would like. Its fairly common to throw a 87-88 tc front end onto a 4 eyed bird, but i'd consider that a down grade personally.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com