Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone from (or currently in) Knoxville? (Read 1446 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone from (or currently in) Knoxville?

The family and I and thinking about relocating there this summer to be closer to friends and family. Having a summer longer than two months would be nice too. Lower cost-of-living is also playing a big factor. Just looking for feedback about the schools, neighborhoods, and everything in between from people who have lived in the area.

My wife and I both grew up in small towns so leaving the big city behind won't be too hard, although we will miss it. We know it is a college football town, kinda like Ann Arbor, and we are college football fans... just not specifically UT football fans. But I'm sure we will adjust. :D

So is anyone here from Knoxville?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #1
I live just south of Knoxville in a town called Maryville ,,,,I relocated here from Massachusetts 10 years ago and I love it here

I dont have much info about schools and such , but I do know there are "good" and "bad" parts of town . If I knew more what part of knoxville you were thinking about I could tell you more
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
Maryville is on the list of places we are looking to buy a house. I just assumed it was of the metro area? I think Oak Ridge was another. Do you mind if I send you a list of houses and get the low down on the neighborhoods?

Reply #3
The Rod Run is in Sevierville twice a year, which is cool.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #4
Send away,
Maryville Is really nice ... close enough to the city but small town enough to be peaceful ... Maryville city schools are highly rated .. I live outside the city limits in the county
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #5
My cousin lived in Knoxville when he was young. Seemed to enjoy it. I was only there once when I was very young. I always liked TN though. Can't much go wrong anywhere up there. I say go for it. Summers longer than 2 months are very nice lol. And the scenery/terrain is great. I would love to move up to TN, WV, NC, SC area, but the ol' lady just won't have it....
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #6
The best part of Knoxville?

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="red"]CHERRYBOMB GLASSPACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE] :headbang: :headbang:
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #7
Scott D  I like cherry bomb glasspacks as much as anyone but if you could ...please explain....

The maremont plant is outside Lenoir City,  35 miles southwest of K-town ........ or  is that still close enough in "southern measurement"..lol
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #8
Yay Glaspacks!? I think he meant unrestricted cherry bombs. -Catless?-

But in that case, just move to florida. No, wait, don't. Florida sucks.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #9
Looks like all systems are a go for the move this summer... Just need to find housing.

Also thinking about selling the WRX. It is fun in the snow, although the AWD system leaves a lot to be desired in slippery conditions. Two open diffs coupled with a viscous center diff makes for very unpredictable driving when the fun times are over. Add in an overwhelmed VDC/TCS system and things can get tricky real quick. I've thought about swapping in a STi trans, complete with front LSD and electronically controlled center diff. But those are big bucks, along with everything else in this aftermarket ($500 for a downpipe - yuk). And with the relocation, traction won't be much of an issue.

Plus, we've been reevaluating our finances, and although cost-of-living is significantly lower in Knox, I feel we can cut some more, so everything is on the table. My wife and I are going to carpool to work (we work at the same place). Getting a PC built so I can work from home after the bell, so my car won't be used as often. It is rarely used as the full-family hauler now. Either me and one of the kids or me and the wife. So I can probably go back to a coupe. Would love another turbo thundercat, but that market seems to be drying up fast! And frankly, I miss the sound of a Ford V8 and would like something a little bit newer for a semi-daily driver.

So I am thinking about getting a 99-04 Stang... I love that body style and have always wanted one. Preferably a GT, because I am itching to turn a wrench again. I won't frown on a 99 Cobra though. lol. A turbo'd mod motor is the best of both worlds, IMO.

We shall see...

Reply #10
Quote from: hypostang;353226
Scott D  I like cherry bomb glasspacks as much as anyone but if you could ...please explain....

The maremont plant is outside Lenoir City,  35 miles southwest of K-town ........ or  is that still close enough in "southern measurement"..lol

Lenoir City is "close enough" ;)
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #11
I justcame back from that area, and the scenery is awesome. I stayed in Pigeon Forge, right outside of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and I'll never forget it. Gorgeous area...not to mention that those mountain roads ar VERY fun to drive.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Reply #12
i went to pigeon forge when I was a little kid I don't really remember it that well but I used to live up near chattanooga and yeah it is a great area. Especially compared to Flat-rida.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L