Skip to main content
Topic: BlueBird (Read 39706 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: BlueBird

Reply #315
There are a bunch of sales going on for Labor Day, so I was seeing if MM had any good deals, Unfortunately, they don't.

Anyways, I looked at their torque arm instructions, and they have the most pathetic mounting tabs to weld to the SFC's. I like your setup much better.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #316
I hosed all the bare metal with self-etch, and then brushed on a coat of matte black tractor paint a couple days ago. Today I went after final assembly of the rear suspension.
  • TA cross-member bolted in
  • Front TA mounts drilled thru the diff ears
  • Pinion angle set
  • Lock down all the hardware

Next was cycling the suspension to check for interference. Everything looks good at full bump.

91FCE7C9-F744-4BCC-B40F-78FA7A4F008E.jpeg

Then, I took another look at the lower control arm angle. It has been wrong since I lowered the car and I had planned on getting a set of brackets that attach to the axle for correcting the angle. Adding the PHB in the mix however, meant that type of bracket would require heavy re-engineering of the PHB axle mount. This was not enticing.

At the chassis end of the LCAs, there is a large gap between the arm and the body and plenty of drill access without exhaust on the car, so I decided on raising the pick-up point at the chassis end to make the correction.

1B20598D-FF0A-4F1A-BFBF-816546F3D75A.jpeg

I also took the opportunity to cheat the mounting hole rearward a touch, making up some of the length difference when using Mustang control arms.

D5B4BC13-77E4-4B46-9C9B-C81182D810F2.jpeg
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #317
Nice adjustment.

Is that the final ride height in the front or is it going slightly lower (obviously the rear will be a little higher).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #318
Taking advantage of the holiday weekend. I reorganized the shop, moved out a pile of parts that do not belong to any the three projects currently inhabiting the building, picked up a bunch of parts strewn about the floor and put them on the freshly cleared shelves, then I got to work!
I began by topping up the battery and plugging in the OBD scan tool to confirm to the best of my ability that there are no issues on my end preventing the car from running. The start-up tune needs another tweak; not looking good for driving it this year...Next up, I wired in the VSS recalibration box so I can work on exhaust without getting in my own way. And then, I started that exhaust stuff

IMG_3361.JPG

Since there is no longer room for a passenger side tailpipe with the new rear suspension I have settled for running a 3" single on the left.
2.5" from the headers to the merge. 3" from the merge, out the back. Everything from the headers to the ler is tacked up. Hoping that I can get the tailpipe and hangers configured before the weekend is over.

Reply #319
Looking good!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #320
Awesome. Great to see some progress on this!  :like:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #322
Looks great!

That must have been fun fitting the 3" tail section over the rear axle with the panhard bar?
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #323
Looks great!

That must have been fun fitting the 3" tail section over the rear axle with the panhard bar?

There's plenty of room on the drivers side. Lol the passenger side is the problem,  the tank mount is directly in the way. That's why I ended up running dumps on mine.

Looking really good man! Keep it up! The T/A is the last peice to my puzzle under the car and I can't wait to be able to get it and get it in when funds allow it. I'd like to get the MM lower arms too just to have everything match I guess. Ive still got to do SFC's seat braces and torque box plates and all that jazz. I have it all already just got to do it

Reply #324
Bluebird runs! Of course INDOT has covered all the roads with salt so no test drives for a bit, but still BEST CHRISTMAS EVAR!!!!

Reply #325
Bluebird runs! Of course INDOT has covered all the roads with salt so no test drives for a bit, but still BEST CHRISTMAS EVAR!!!!
Awesome! Hopefully we'll get a couple warmer rainy days to washing the roads down and you can get it out.

Reply #326
*Makes car run at Christmas time*
"Ok, I can have these loose ends tied off before the roads are clear and the weather turns nice!"
*Ignores car until spring break*

Yeah. So a couple weekends ago I got back on finishing this car.

• weld up the exhaust and build a tailpipe
  • nut&bolt entire car
  • top off fluids
  • alignment
  • reinstall EEC and misc trim panels in the interior
  • TEST DRIVE!

IMG_3737.JPG
63872414208__C5C52A12-5447-4103-B2BF-4684DE0C7FC1.JPG

After chasing an air pocket out of the cooling system, all subsequent drives have been positive. Ride is good, suspension feels great, engine is running well, no leaks, etc.

Unfortunately, nixing the dual exhaust in favor of keeping the new PHB meant I had to give up the x-pipe. An x-pipe is what makes the modular exhaust note tolerable to my ears. Without it, and without cats, they bark and snarl in obnoxious fashion and I was hating that my beautiful, personal sports coupe sounded like some punk's ragged out Mustang or straight piped F150.

I fixed that today by cramming 20" of glasspack in the space where I had previously fitted the tailpipe.
IMG_3763.JPG

So. Much. Better.

Time to schedule a dyno appointment and get the tune dialed in.

Reply #327
Looks good. Any way to get a sound clip and post it?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #328
Glad to see it out and roaming again!

:like: