Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck W Fox Tbird Shock Brackets - OK, OK, OK! (Read 5874 times) previous topic - next topic

Chuck W Fox Tbird Shock Brackets - OK, OK, OK!

Reply #30
 it.... I needed a set.... Didn't seee this..... :mad:

Reply #31
I know I'm past the deadline but are these for only if you have the stock rear in the car or are these used when a Mustang 8.8 is swapped in as well?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1986 T-bird 3.8 *SOLD*
1990 Mustang
2004 Mach 1

Reply #32
I used them on a stock rear end but I believe the will also bolt up to mustang 8.8s no problem
These are only required when you use shorter than stock shocks
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #33
Quote from: MeanLX;444294
I know I'm past the deadline but are these for only if you have the stock rear in the car or are these used when a Mustang 8.8 is swapped in as well?
When I swapped the Mustang 8.8 rear into my Bird, it was a direct bolt up for the control arms and shocks. I hope this helps.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Reply #34
The rear housings are exactly the same for all fox 8.8s.  I recently used a mark vii rear with SN95 axles and cobra brakes and brake lines.  It's a very modular configuration that you can build to suit your needs.

Hope this helps -

Geoff
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

Reply #35
Yea I thought I  remembered reading all the housings were the same but I didn't want to give false advice
My TC rear end also has sn95 axles with Mazda rotors and I've been thinking about going cobra rear brakes to match the front
The front rotors look pretty big compared to the rear rotors
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #36
I think saying that the housings are the same is misleading in some aspects.  The 8.8 housings from the 86-93 Fox Mustangs and the 94-98 SN95 Mustangs are the same and this has been verified multiple times.  The axle  to axle  is different between the 86-93 and 94-98 due to the Fox Mustangs coming with drum brakes and the 94-98 Mustangs coming with disc brakes and ABS which resulted in a need to move the axles out about 0.75" per side.  The 99-04 8.8 housings are physically wider both in the housing and axle to accommodate for the wider body of the 99-04 cars.  Here are some of the measurements:

Brake  Mounting Surface to Brake  Mounting Surface (pulled from Corner Carvers which was sourced from a Ford Engineer)
86-98 -- 54.10"
99-04 -- 55.51" (1.41" wider than the 86-98 housing)

Axle Lengths (pulled from a Moser catalog)
86-93 -- 29.188"
94-98 -- 29.969" (0.781" longer than the 86-93 axle)
99-04 -- 30.688" (0.719" longer than the 94-98 axle and 1.500" longer than the 86-93 axle)

So with this being said there are some differences between the different years of rear ends.  Another minor difference but one that can be overcome is that the lower control arms on the 99-04 Mustang 8.8's used 14mm diameter bolts versus the 12mm used on the 86-98 Mustang 8.8's.

If the question is if any of these will physically bolt up into our cars then the answer is the 86-98 rear ends will definitely bolt up into the our cars as it has been done.  I am not sure if anyone has tried a 99-04 rear end and whether or not the LCA and UCA mounting points are the same between the 86-98 and 99-04 rear ends.  My guess is that the UCA's are but I am not sure about the LCA's due to the increased housing width. From what I have read guys with the 94-98 cars have installed the 99-04 rear end to get a wider rear to balance the wider front track width of those cars but this has all been in road racing applications.  Hopefully someone can post up on whether or not a 99-04 rear has been tried in a Bird or Cougar.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #37
I wasn't considering the 99-04 a fox body. i have no experience with that generation.

Reply #38
Haven't tried it in a Fox Birdcat, but from my Mustang forum and Ford parts experience I'm going to say that the control arm mounting points are the same for 79-04 Mustangs.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #39
The kits from this order are all spoken for and out the door.

I do have parts for a couple more sets that I was going to weld up when I was putting some more motor mounts together.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #40
OK, if you missed out on the initial bunch, I have 5 more sets that I'm welding up. After that, no idea when more might be made.

All the info in the first post is the same regarding pricing, ordering instructions, etc.

Reply #41
Getting ready to drop these last 5 sets off for powdercoat this week. 

I have [COLOR="#FF0000"]1[/COLOR] set left that is unspoken for.

Chuck

Reply #42
That's it. Last set has been claimed. 

Thanks for playing.

Reply #43
Looking forward to getting another set.  Thanks for doing these.

Reply #44
See HERE