Skip to main content
Topic: Mark VIII Electric Radiator Fan Install with DC Controller (Read 2182 times) previous topic - next topic

Mark VIII Electric Radiator Fan Install with DC Controller

Got the Mark VIII fan install finished with the DC Controller this weekend and just wanted to post up some pics in case anyone was contemplating this install.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #1
I've used that setup in the past and it works great 95* day, in traffic, with ac on and no problems.. Do yourself a favor and keep the old clutch fan and shroud in your trunk with some tools to change it out if you need it.  I had the fan motor (it was a junkyard fan :) ) die on me after about 2 years and was so happy I had the old fan with me.  Also you might want to get the indicator light if its still available from them it's pretty nice.. the color changes from green (off), yellow (half speed), to red (full speed).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
I'll have questions for you when I'm able to get my controller.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Did you have to trim the shroud to get clearance?
Mike

Reply #4
I have had the Mark VIII fan and DCController on my Coupe for seven years now and not a hitch.  What I did have a problem with was when I used to run the fan with relays and an on/off switch.  This was like having a direct start instead of the soft start the DCController provides.  It hammered the brushes on the motor twice in less than two years when I drove the car everyday.  I found out that the fan motor is actually a Siemens motor that you can get at NAPA but they are about $100.  Its getting harder and harder to find these fans but the motors are readily available so I keep a spare motor at the house now.  I can post the part number if someone needs it.

Yes, I trimmed about 3/4" or so off the fan shroud.  That allowed for the necessary clearance of the water pump pulley.  I know guys are using them on super charged cars and I think they mount them upside down as the fan is offset just a little bit from the edges of the shroud so this gives some additional clearance there.

With the Taurus fan I would just get the two speed controller as it has the soft start and it is cheaper and super easy to wire up.  This is what a buddy of mine has on his 408 stroker in a 69 Mustang and it keeps it cool on these hot Oklahoma days.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp