Skip to main content
Topic: 84 cougar carb swap (Read 1596 times) previous topic - next topic

84 cougar carb swap

i just pulled my stock "efi" 302 out and im dropping in my built 306. i have a few questions about the tranny kickdown rod, ingnition, fuel pump.

whats the best way to mount the TV rod to the carb? i have a high rise intake with a 750 holley.

ignition i was reading a few fourms and they said my ingnition system wouldnt work? i all ready have a new dizzy *vacspooge advanced* but wondering why i couldnt just hook that up.

the 84 cougar has 2 fuel pumps a high flow in the tank and an inline pusher pump *low pressure* wondering if it had enough pressure to run a 750, also wondering how to run a line into the tank or could i just leave it in there? would it still pull fuel if i left it in there?

84 cougar carb swap

Reply #1
You have the fuel pumps backwards.  The in-tank is the low-pressure lift pump that feeds the high-pressure in-line pump.

Without a regulator, you can't use the EFI pumps for a carb application.  They're running about 35-40psi vs the 5-7psi that's normal for a carbed car.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

84 cougar carb swap

Reply #2
Yes, i was thinking i would have to get one, Also im pretty sure the low pressure is in the line lol but ill do some checking lol

84 cougar carb swap

Reply #3
Low pressure is in the tank. I doesnt make much since to boost the pressure if the tank pump is already high pressure does it?
The low pressure is in the tank and the in-line pump is the high pressure pump. I've heard of people using the low pressure in the tank with carbs, but you'd need a pressure regulator.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

84 cougar carb swap

Reply #4
Quote from: 4eyed'Cougar;371512
Yes, i was thinking i would have to get one, Also im pretty sure the low pressure is in the line lol but ill do some checking lol

No...low pressure is in the tank...I wasn't guessing.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

84 cougar carb swap

Reply #5
I've done this swap on my 84 using the pumps with a mallory  4309 regulator and a dura spark ign. I have a very descriptive  post how I did it....I just have to find which forum I posted it on and I will post a link.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

84 cougar carb swap

Reply #6
.....here's one but it's not the more descriptive one....I'll keep looking.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/464848-fuel-system-help.html

EDIT.....can't see for looking  DUH!

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?31828-duel-fuel-pumps-to-single-high-pressure
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

84 cougar carb swap

Reply #7
.......found another one, hope it helps. Keep us posted on your progress as I may have forgotten something else along the way.    http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,15112.msg146399.html#msg146399