Skip to main content
Topic: Tc 460 Swap (Read 4904 times) previous topic - next topic

Tc 460 Swap

I have 2 87' TC's one is missing the trany and afew engine parts. So I figured I would do a 460/ C6  swap on this car and keep the other mainly stock. Any help would be great in regards to springrates for the front, engine/trans offset, pinion angle,ect.

Thanks
                                        1Real Bad Bird

Tc 460 Swap

Reply #1
Swap to a tubular k member for header clearance, use a rear sump truck pan and pickup,I used hooker supercomp headers.                  I used 175lb coilovers but there way to weak id suggest at least 200 lb
I like my pinion angle at -4*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Tc 460 Swap

Reply #2
Did you use motor mounts or a engine plate? Do you know if I have to make any modifacations to the trans tunnle for the C6? Are you still runnin the 8.8 rear?

Tc 460 Swap

Reply #3
Quote from: 1REAL BAD BIRD;194293
Did you use motor mounts or a engine plate? Do you know if I have to make any modifacations to the trans tunnle for the C6? Are you still runnin the 8.8 rear?

i used FMS mounts no mods need for the C6 except the driveshaft length and front yoke. The 8.8 will hold up fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Tc 460 Swap

Reply #4
Quote from: 1REAL BAD BIRD;194246
I have 2 87' TC's one is missing the trany and afew engine parts. So I figured I would do a 460/ C6  swap on this car and keep the other mainly stock. Any help would be great in regards to springrates for the front, engine/trans offset, pinion angle,ect.

Thanks
                                        1Real Bad Bird

Great idea about keeping one Bird stock and put a 460 in the other.

I have done a 460 87 Turbo Coupe and I love it!

The 87-88 TC x-member is different than most x-members. I had to make custom solid mounts to fit my 87 TC x-member because I did not want to use a front motor plate.

Look at the pics of my 460 TC...those are stock 4 cyl springs all around. I am using a Edelbrock Performer intake with a 1/2 inch spacer and a 3 inch tall Moroso Air cleaner. Of course I am using 1/2 inch spacers between the x-member and the frame rails. I am using a Van C-6 trans mount to set the C-6 lower in the car.

Rear control arms are stock uppers (with plates welded to box them) and stretched Southside lowers. Airbags on both sides.

Pinion angle is set at 2 degree down.

You will need to switch to manual brakes or better yet, a Mustang 5.0 power brake booster. That ABS Master cylinder absolutely will not clear the 460...I tried...alot!

Hope the info helps.
Alan

Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Tc 460 Swap

Reply #5
Hey, that 460 Bird looks awesome!! With all of your Birds, you should put a different kind of motor in each one, like a 351 and a 428, branch out to 4.6L, then go retro with a 292. If you really want to be unique, jump into a flathead powered Bird. I'm in your corner!!
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Tc 460 Swap

Reply #6
I'd go with the 430 MEL Super Marauder next. :D
1987 TC

Tc 460 Swap

Reply #7
Quote from: FLSTCI71;194961
Hey, that 460 Bird looks awesome!! With all of your Birds, you should put a different kind of motor in each one, like a 351 and a 428, branch out to 4.6L, then go retro with a 292. If you really want to be unique, jump into a flathead powered Bird. I'm in your corner!!

A bunch of us on the http://www.460ford.com forum met Saturday for a Tech Seminar and the hightlight of the event was Jon Kaase's announcement that he is planning on making Boss 429 heads, but unlike the originals,  these heads will be able to bolt onto passenger car blocks.

So, now I know what I want for my TC....a Boss Hemi Ford with around 466 Cu.in.

I 'll have to sell the Lightning to get the heads, intake and valve covers, but it will be worth it!

This is what I want my engine to look like:

Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Tc 460 Swap

Reply #8