Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie doing a DOHC swap (Read 3783 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Hi peoples :)
Just thought that I would post here and tell you about my little project. Check out my signature to see my toy. This is a sloooooow going project, too many other things to get done before I have time to work at any lenght on the toy. This is a very nice Forum you all have here.

John
1BadBird
:birdsmily:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #1
I like to here how comes out. No one here has a 4.6 swapped in I believe one guy was going to do it and sed the idea when he bought a cobra but the only thing I heard from fox-mustang right-ups is they say they had to cut into the fire wall a bit (you probably now that already) but all were happy and satisfied good luck.

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #3
youo shouldnt have to cut into the firewall at all if you ditch the earlier intake. if you can score a 96-98 cobra intake (you need it complete with fuel rails etc...)that would be ideal or at least the later mark viii intakes. thats all you realy have for options for those heads i belive. your gonna need a flywheel from a modular GT. look for the later ones (00' up) so you can run an 11" clutch. if you do end up building up a forged short block than you will likely end up useing a new forged 8 bolt crank in wich case you can disreguard that ;)

so...what are you plaaning to run for an ignition?

good luck with the project! i wish i didnt sell everything off as i was 90% there...after we have a house, if i can afford it i WILL do it again. thats if i dont go nuts with the mustang anyway.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #4
Sorry guys, should've named this "A Newbie to this Forum doing a DOHC swap" Hope the original title wasn't misleading.

I have the complete air intake tubes for the MKVIII engine. I don't know why the firewall had to be cut. When I mocked up the engine, it looked to have enough room. I will put the engine and tranny back in and take a closer look. A friend that put a 351w into a ranger was told he had to cut the firewall as well, but only to find out that that was completely not necessary. Also, I'm using the original Turbo 2.3L crossmember as all I had to do was slightly elongate the motor mount holes to accomidate the MKVIII motormounts. Yes, I know I need the 00' and up flywheel. I already bought the 11" clutch setup. I'm also going to change the stock oil pan for an Canton pan. I've got Jet Hot coated Cobra exhaust manifolds but if I don't do a twin turbo setup, I'll get some kooks long tubes for her :D

I plan on using the stock wiring harness lightly modified with help from a good friend that's a electrical mech at The Lincoln shop here in town, a good tune from either Lonnie, on the TCCOA website, or an SCT piggyback tuner for the OBI computers. I was origianlly going to use the FAST XFI system, but I'm going to retain the aircondidtion and possisbly the cruise control, things that I can't do with a stand alone system.

I would like to thank all of who responded with their opinions and ideas, Keep 'em coming.
I would also like to thank you for welcoming me here. I'm on 3 other sites, NATO (1of4 Body/Paint-Appearance Moderators), TCCOA, Corral :(

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #5
well, either way good luck with the project! i wish i had just put all my stuff in storage but i realy cant have 2 projects and save up for a home purchase/build. barely have left over funds to mess witht he stang and theres alot i want to do with that.

id suggest picking up an aje k member though. they arent manditory but deffinetly give you much needed room. lighten the car up a bit as well.

are you switching to hydroboost, manual brakes or what? just realy interested is all...thanks for your time! john

~John~

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #6
Hey, No problem :) I appreciate the interest and ideas :)
I'm really having a hard time deciding which 1 to go with.  It'd be easier to go with manual brakes, but I think can get and use the hydro boost setup from a 90' or 91' Lincoln LSC. Although I guess I'd have to say that I'm probably leaning a little more to the manual setup.

I know the funding woes :shakehead  I'm putting my wife the nursing school and remodeling the house at the same time and that really don't leave much for the toy. 1 more semester for her though :D  :D

I was thinking about a crossmember from Maximum Motorsports as I already have their 94' stang tubular lower control arms w/coilover conversion and C/C plates.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #7
Oh, also a guy at work has an 01' Cobra intake complete. He put on a kennebell twinscrew on his car. I can get it for $350. I had thought about getting a set of Stage II patriot heads for a 99' - up Dohc. I'll have to think about that for awhile though.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #8
sounds like a sweet swap. any pics of the engine in the car?
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #9
cool. i had a hydroboost unit from an 01 cobra. i wasnt aware that the mark vii had hydroboost. i realy wouldnt recomend going with manual brakes as specially if the car will be street driven. theres a much bigger payoff in doing it correctly. i drove a fox stang with manual brakes and steering and i would never even consider it for one of my own cars.....

~John~

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #10
Fordguy, nope, no pics yet. After the holidays, I'll try to the engine set in there for some pics as I need to recheck some clearance issues.

shame302, I'd never go with manual steering in any car period. Too much work to manuver :(  I had thought about the manual brakes mainly because pedal feel when I actually start road racing/auto crossing the car.  I will, however, be driving the car quite often and the ease of the power brakes would definitely be appreciated. The MKVII LSC that I took the suspension from had it, and one other I found here in Cal city had one. I assumed that they all came with it.

Thanks guys, I'll get some pics up as soon as I can get the engine in.
John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #11
Quote from: 1BadBird;118913
Oh, also a guy at work has an 01' Cobra intake complete.....

I may have missed where you said it but are you replacing the Mark heads with later ones? That intake won't fit the stock Mark VIII "B" heads. You'll want to stay away from the 97 and 98 Mark intakes too... dont' flow real well though I doubt you'd be able to tell a lot of difference in this application. :)

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #12
Quote from: 1BadBird;118814
I was origianlly going to use the FAST XFI system, but I'm going to retain the aircondidtion and possisbly the cruise control, things that I can't do with a stand alone system.

Why not? Cruise and A/C can be made standalone themselves.

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #13
JeremyB,
 I was told by someone that the FAST XFI didn't have provisions for those features. But no one has ever told me that I could make the cruise and a/c standalone by themselves. If you know of how I can accomplish that, any info and directions would be very greatly appreciated.

Doodaa, If I get that 01' intake, I would get a pair of 99' and up stage II patriot heads. Otherwise I'll figure something out. Maybe a Sullivan intake and some adaptor plates???

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Newbie doing a DOHC swap

Reply #14
You can approach the cruise issue from several angles. One is just to buy an aftermarket cruise control...
Rostra
Audiovox

The other is to use the cruise that comes with our [Fox] cars and fab up a connection to the throttle-body.
You can also use the cruise from a newer Mustang, and have everything come together like factory.
Bottom line, the computer has no clue if you have CC on or not. It just knows the throttle is open "X" degrees and applies fuel/spark accordingly.

The F.A.S.T XFI has A/C clutch control.
XFI Manual - Go to 20.0

So, you're good to go if you want to use the XFI.