Skip to main content
Topic: Black '88 XR7 in Chicago (Read 3553 times) previous topic - next topic

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

In case anybody had been following this one for however long it's been listed.......

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=74021&endYear=1988&modelCode1=COUGAR&showcaseOwnerId=0&makeCode1=MERC&startYear=1988&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=0&mmt=%5BMERC%5BCOUGAR%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=388017330&Log=0

I managed to get the owner and her son to take it to a mech, put on a lift, and shoot some belly photos......*Warning: The following link contains images the viewer may find disturbing.  Viewer discretion is advised.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chevalier/sets/72157672052379675

I was hoping that maybe it would just be the sheet metal rust on the rockers/doors, but no.  Essentially, this is an engine, trans, and interior donor car, in my opinion.

And the search continues.......

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #1
Thankyou so much for the information! �� I was so lucky I didn't buy this and waited 5 more weeks and found mine! X

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #2
Nice!  Is that a factory color for '87?  Hadn't seen it, if so!

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #3
No it's not, but Thankyou. If you send me your email I'll send you the cars "Transformation" my email is c3brix@gmail.com - it will be done next week and I'm so excited. I had an 87 cougar in Highschool 92-96. And I bought this to continue the love as a gift for my son who is a huge Detroit lions fan so I am customizing it for him and it means so much to me.

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #5
Well it's from Chicago so I could have told you that. I live in Chicago. They salt like crazy in the winter.

My Thunderbird isn't from Chicago. It's from California. Rust isn't much of an issue at all because of that. Plus garaging it all winter helps ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #6
Man, that thing is crusty! What a shame. Can't hardly find a XR7 around here.

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #7
Reduced again to 2900......he's getting closer.

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #8
What was the original asking price?

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #9
Three years ago originally listed at over 8k......yes, it's been for sale for at least that long......

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #10
Red interior on a black car.  Deal breaker for me right there.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Black '88 XR7 in Chicago

Reply #11
Quote from: V8Demon;457086
Red interior on a black car.  Deal breaker for me right there.

Part of me sees it as tacky due to the car itself....but at the same time it's like a throwback to the 30's/40's art-deco. There was a black 88 LS in Florida a few years back, on eBay. I think it went for 3 or 4K. It was surprisingly cheap given the GORGEOUS condition of the car. The guy had stuck on some chrome/stainless fender arch accents but other than that it was bone stock. The red interior wasn't faded even slightly and if I didn't already have my black stick car I would have been sending emails/making phone calls....
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane