Skip to main content
Topic: Really Good Videos on Tearing Down and Rebuilding a T5 (Read 1037 times) previous topic - next topic

Really Good Videos on Tearing Down and Rebuilding a T5

With all the time the country has right now I thought a couple of hours of wasting my time should be used to learn how to do something better from someone that has built thousands of these transmissions.  So I am about to venture down the path of rebuilding the T5 in my Coupe and found this video set out on YouTube.  This coupled with the T5 manual makes the job a basic no brainer.  The last time the T5 was gone through was back in 2007 in Houston by a good friend.  Getting a buzz in the stick in all five gears that increases with rpm and its audible at the higher rpms.  Talked with a couple reputable builders and we all agree that is highly likely either the input needs to be shimmed and/or bearings.  With all the abuse this box has received since 2007 my guess it is just time for it to be completely gone through.  I broke the tab on the reverse brake cone that synchronizes reverse and to get it in reverse I've always had to do the 5th gear bump and down into reverse to get it to drop right in.  Going to replace the cone and fix that little annoying issue while I am in there.  Have not ordered parts yet as I want to tear it down and see if I have any issues with the 1-2 or 3-4 sliders or shift forks.  Should not as I have had a positive stop shifter in the car since the T5 went in it but one never knows.

Anyhow, videos are here on Eric the Car Guy's site with Paul Cangialosi who is a T5 Jedi master:

Part 1
https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU

Part 2
https://youtu.be/mR8LetFQSoc

This video is where Eric goes back in the replaces the parts that were bad as they just used them in Part 2 to complete putting one back together:

Final Assembly
https://youtu.be/BhbI4c6UFiQ

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Re: Really Good Videos on Tearing Down and Rebuilding a T5

Reply #1
Thanks for putting this together.  I have an unknown T5 on floor here and have played around with the idea of going through it.  Unfortunately/fortunately, I am still busy with work even with the "slow down" and working from home.

Any chance you might make this thread a tear down thread of your T5?
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Re: Really Good Videos on Tearing Down and Rebuilding a T5

Reply #2
Was kind of planning on it but in all honesty those three videos cover everything.  I have helped one of my friends go through a couple T5's and they are pretty easy to work on.  Biggest issue is getting the rear bearing off the cluster shaft as you cannot remove it from the case without doing this and you have to remove it to replace all the bearings.  This is covered in the videos.

If anything out of the ordinary pops up on mine that is worth sharing I will put it in this thread.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp