Skip to main content
Topic: Deciphering Fox Axels (Read 46897 times) previous topic - next topic

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #60
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;454287
Yes, the complete rear from any V8 Mustang '94 to '98 will work. You'll want to avoid the '99-'04 rears as the axles are longer, though the rear housing itself is identical. Alternatively, you could use a rear from a '99 up and simply throw in ANY axles from a '94 to 98 Mustang, regardless of it being a 7.5" or an 8.8 rear...the axle shafts themselves are dimensionally identical save for the extra inch or so on the '99 up models.

Actually the 99-04 housing are wider.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #61
^ thanks for the speedy response, and yea mr mackin had his centerlines widened in the backspacing, i was just concerned if he needed any special work to put a 325 tire out back in the body... a fox mustang nearly requires a tub to fit all that meat back there. as for the brakes, im gonna do some lightweight aerospace brakes eventually and im pretty talented so im not too intimidated by custom brake lines. thanks for the info, looks like this is gonna be a fun project.
-phil

theres never enough money to build it right, but theres always enough to build it twice!

Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #62
I had 275/60's on my 87 bird with very little rub on a maxed out bump. I thing a smaller then 28" tire would fit fine, and i don't think a 275/50 would rub at all. With a bit it work in sure 325's could fit, but i think that is pushing it a bit.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: Deciphering Fox Axels

Reply #63
I think the spread sheet got lost? I though there was a download in the first post at one time but I could be wrong.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #64
Post  #11

Reply #66
Being that that the 94-98 Mustang 8.8 and 87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe axle housings are the same dimensionally would it be possible to swap Turbo Coupe/93 Mustang Cobra axles (they are both the same dimensionally) along with Turbo Coupe/93 Mustang Cobra caliper brackets, calipers, and rotors to get a 4 lug 8.8 disc brake rear? That is probably much easier to do now than finding a complete Turbo Coupe rear axle at a wrecking yard.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #67
You absolutely can.

The biggest issue at this point, is tracking down all of the brake components for a TC. The calipers and brackets are getting harder and harder to come by, and they're still unreliable as hell. The rotors are becoming less common also.

I don't know what your budget looks like or anything, but I think it would be kinda neat to take SN95 rotors, get some hubcentric rings made to make up the difference in center hub diameter of the rotors, and have them redrilled to 4-lug. Would allow you to use common SN95 brakes and still have 4 lug.

It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #68
You absolutely can.

The biggest issue at this point, is tracking down all of the brake components for a TC. The calipers and brackets are getting harder and harder to come by, and they're still unreliable as hell. The rotors are becoming less common also.

I don't know what your budget looks like or anything, but I think it would be kinda neat to take SN95 rotors, get some hubcentric rings made to make up the difference in center hub diameter of the rotors, and have them redrilled to 4-lug. Would allow you to use common SN95 brakes and still have 4 lug.

I figured it might work, if one could find the parts. I'm all set as my car has an 8.8 out of an 88 XR7. I was asking for a guy local to me. He's got an 86 5.0 Thunderbird with a Trick Flow top end kit and a modified AOD. He's got 3.73s in the stock 7.5 but wants an 8.8, as the 7.5 probably isn't long for the world (I nuked the 7.5 in mine once I went Edelbrock heads/intake). TC rears are virtually impossible to find in Northern Illinois now. I figured finding a 94-98 Mustang GT 8.8 and bolting the other parts to it would be the easier route.

Reply #69
Who is responsible for editing the spreadsheet in post #11? It has some errors and missing information.

Axle should only be measured from the brake mounting  to the very tip of the inner end. This is the dimension that affects the trackwidth of the car. It is the dimension that Ford uses in all of its drawings. The graphic shows the dimension to go from the brake mounting  to the end of the splines. It should show this going to the end of the axle. The name should be changed from "Spline-" for C and F to "End-".

The correct dimension for the 1979-93 Mustang axles is 29.16", not 29.18".

The correct dimension for the 1994-98 Mustang axles is 29.91", not 29.97".

The correct dimension for the 1999-2004 Mustang axles is 30.63", not 30.69".

Once these dimensions are fixed, the dimension A will need to be fixed with the formula below. There should be significant figures added in some of the cases.

It should be noted in the dospoogeent that the 1999-2004 Mustang axle housings have 14mm bolt holes for the RLCAs, instead of 12mm. This means that a custom RLCA would need to be used with 12mm crush sleeves at the chassis end and 14mm crush sleeves at the axle end for use of this housing in any Fox chassis or 1994-98 SN95 chassis.

I would also add a note that the total axle axle  to axle  dimension for any assembly is dimension C+F+0.75" for all assemblies listed. If the car has a 31 spline differential or any Torsen differential, add 0.125" to this dimension as the pin/block is 0.875" wide in these differentials. This measurement must be taken with both axles pushed into the housing. This enables one to accurately determine what length axle is installed in the housing as well as if the differential is 28 or 31 spline when using stock parts, without taking anything apart. This won't work well with many aftermarket axles, because their length tolerance is usually poor.

Most rear disc rotors have a 0.235" thick hat. Drums have a thickness of 0.060". If you measure with the brakes installed, 2X of these dimensions need to be subtracted from the measurement.

Reply #70
Thanks for the info, Jack.

@Jeremy Belcher is the owner of the file. He should be able to make the changes.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo