Skip to main content
Topic: Coil Over Shocks (Read 1224 times) previous topic - next topic

Coil Over Shocks

Not sure if I'm really referring to the right item, but I did a search on here and didn't come up with anything so here goes...

I'm looking to replace my rear shocks with what I would refer to as coil-over "cargo shocks". I had these on my T-Bird and they worked real well at increasing payload and just preventing the "rear end sag" that comes when putting anything moderately heavy in the trunk of our cars (luggage, cat litter, etc.). I don't want to go with air shocks.

I see there are coil over shocks out there but they seem more geared toward autocrossing and suspension adjusting. I just want the extra cargo capacity.

I suppose I could replace rear springs...never done that and not sure what would give me added capacity. Our cars have a lot of rear overhang, so I would think things from the Mustang camp would not be sufficiently strong?

Any ideas or 1st hand knowledge?

Thx!
'87 Cougar LS V6 (stock) Daily Driver
'06 Lincoln LS V8

'12 F-150 SCrew FX4 5.0L
'80 Thunderbird V8 (mild 304) [sold to friend]

Coil Over Shocks

Reply #1
What you are referring to is a helper spring on the rear shock.  A true coil over takes the place of the original coil spring.  My dad installed a set of Moog rear springs in my 83 waaay back in the day due to the rear sagging so bad on family trips with all the weight in the rear.  They were a bit higher rate which did not affect the ride height but it helped with the sag in the rear.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Coil Over Shocks

Reply #2
Get a set of Chuck's adapters and run Monroe MA777 air shocks. These are meant for a van and so have very nice valving when utilized in a car. They also make air shocks for the Thunderbird, but I think they tend to be a bit too lightly valved, and thus allow the car to wallow a bit too much for me.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Coil Over Shocks

Reply #4
Moog cargo coils FTW.

Air shocks are all nice and good...but what happens when they go bad..? :punchballs:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Coil Over Shocks

Reply #5
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;317547
Moog cargo coils FTW.

Air shocks are all nice and good...but what happens when they go bad..?

What happens when anything goes bad?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Coil Over Shocks

Reply #6
Run the Moog springs as I am sure the factory ones are done anyhow.  Springs are a wear item as the spring constant will decline from mechanical cycling.  Typically I ditch coil springs at the 80K mark but that is just me and what I have experienced.  If a car has low miles and has sat for years then the springs will sag like a car that has high miles in less time.  I found this on a coil spring manufacturer's site:

[COLOR="blue"]Many types of automotive coil springs are wound in an annealed (soft) condition and then tempered to achieve their strength as a spring. Over time, this tempering can be lost and the spring will sag because it can no longer withstand the loads applied.

Most coil springs fail due to constant overloading, excessive up and down movement or just a general breakdown due to metal fatigue. Springs can also corrode and rust. How do you know if you have a suspension problem? You’ll probably feel it if a spring fails, your ride will become hard and jarring. Failed shocks may result in excessive “bouncing” or up and down movement of your car’s front or back end. It may also become harder to steer, and could feel like your vehicle is pulling to the left or right.[/COLOR]

Changing the rear springs is about a 45 minute job.  Jack up the car and place jack stands under the rear subframe just in front of where the LCA's attach to the car.  Use a floor jack to raise the rear end enough to unbolt the shocks from the rear end.  Slowly lower the rear end and you should be able to get enough room to remove the rear springs from between the LCA and the frame of the car.  Sometimes you will have to have a buddy push down on the axle of the rear end to get enough space to remove the spring.  Install the new spring with new isolators and repeat on the other side.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Coil Over Shocks

Reply #7
Have to put in another vote for the Moog cargo coils. I've had the same pair since 1993, they've been in 3 different vehicles, and currently they're keeping the sag out of the pig-heavy convertible. Can't seem to kill them. They're a very good investment for the price, and unlike air shocks, you won't need compressed air to keep your back end up. They'll simply continue to do their job for years without any interference.

Coil Over Shocks

Reply #8
Great input! Thanks, guys. I was thinking this weekend about just doing a spring replacement, and now I think that will definitely be the right way to go. Sounds like a fairly easy job...and I noticed when replacing my rear shocks last summer it seemend like an actual spring replacement would be quite simple.

I would agree that after 230,000 miles my factory springs are probably shot!
'87 Cougar LS V6 (stock) Daily Driver
'06 Lincoln LS V8

'12 F-150 SCrew FX4 5.0L
'80 Thunderbird V8 (mild 304) [sold to friend]

Coil Over Shocks

Reply #9
if your wanting a type of coil over shock. i would go with chucks adapters with these-http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?displayName=Shock%2FStrut+-+Rear&itemId=661-0&navValue=14600661&parentId=46-0&productId=185645&fromString=&itemIdentifier=185645_77458_7413_&filterByKeyWord=&categoryNValue=&isSearchByPartNumber=&categoryDisplayName=Suspension&store=501&skuDescription=GabrielLoadCarrier/Shock/Strut-Rear&fromWhere=&searchText=&_requestid=1872937
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)