Skip to main content
Topic: Upper strut mounts (Read 1181 times) previous topic - next topic

Upper strut mounts

I have a question about upper strut mount applications

Monroe list a different number for 87/88  as opposed to 83/86
 whereas KYB  and Moog list the same part number for all 83/88 except 87/88 turbo .
 Can someone enlighten me as to why ?
 I know the turbos have ride control , but what is the difference in non TC uppers ?
Fox-less at the moment

Upper strut mounts

Reply #1
Me too and it may be the terminology you are using.  Struts are the dampers on the front of the car.  Are you talking about the caster/camber plates for the struts or are you talking about the upper control arms (UCA's) on the rear end of the car?

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Upper strut mounts

Reply #2
The front upper strut mounts with the three bolts and the rubber bushings is what I am referring to.
 I am using the name that  the above named manufactures use .

Caster camber plates I understood to be  what aftermarket replacement adjustable pieces were called .

I figured out the answer to my initial question after some research.
87/88  birds and cougars use a different strut (damper)than the earlier cars .
Actually the same struts as the mustang , where as the 83-86 have bird specific struts .

The Monroe pieces have a different parts pack than the others that is the difference as to coverage .
Fox-less at the moment

Upper strut mounts

Reply #3
Glad you figured it out and this is some good info I am sure someone else will need in the future.  I had no idea that these were even available at a parts store.  I just installed a set of Maximum Motorsports CC plates for a T-Bird on mine and was done with it.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp