Skip to main content
Topic: 11" brake conversion experiences (Read 4911 times) previous topic - next topic

11" brake conversion experiences

Reply #15
I have the Cobra rear brakes on my 83.  I had to use two Edelmann 121034 fittings to adapt the 87-93 Mustang rear hard lines to the Maximum Motorsports 94-95 Mustang SS braided lines:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EDE0/121034.oap?mn=Edelmann&mc=EDE&pt=N1165&ppt=C0248

The braded lines are here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_144&products_id=1224

Here is the driver side installed with Chuck's rear shock adapter for the Griggs coil overs and Mustang length Koni dampers.  You cannot see how the SS braided lines are connected in this shot but it gives you the idea:

I used the rear hard lines off of a 87-93 Mustang so I could utalize the SS braided line from the hard line on the body to the hard lines on the rear end.  It also cleared up some room for the right tail pipe as the 3" cat back pipes need all the room they can get.

I got the double flaring tool from Sears and I would suggest practicing on some junk tubing prior to doing the ones on the car.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #16
Dredged this thread up because I'm reassembling the Cougar with the 11" upgrade.

I don't see this addressed anywhere but I'm sure someone else has seen this.  I put four lug 11" rotor spindles from a mustang on, got the springs in, put the shock back in and found that the where the shock mounts on the spindle is thinner (3/4" thick vs. 1" originally) than the 10" spindle that I took off.  Do I need to change to a fox mustang shock?  TBird shock? Can you use washers to take up the slack?

Am I the only goofball seeing this?  I didn't find any info on this on coolcats either.

Thanks guys

Reply #17
If your struts need replacing, just get a pair for a '94-'95 Stang GT.
Not sure if the Fox Stang V8 struts are long enough. I suppose I could compare part #'s.....:shakeass:

I've got the SN95 V8 struts on the front of mine (Thanks Vinnie!) and there's no length difference between those and the TC struts I was running...

You can also get spacers for your stock struts, although I wouldn't know where.

Post your results here if you would! :bowdown:;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #18
Its a well known fact but nothing that cannot be fixed.  When I did that same conversion years ago I just used a washer that would shim the shocks.  The best thing is to go with the 87-88 TC struts but that cost more $$.  If you have lowered the car then you can get away with the Fox Mustang 5.0 struts.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=11947

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=15621

Darren

Reply #19
I did lower the car with Cobra springs but I haven't set it down to see how low it is.  The shocks I'm using are new OEM motorcrafts I found in the trunk.  I just made up the 1/4" space with two 5/8" dia washers from Lowe's.  It worked and we'll try it for a start.  I'll post pics and details on my build thread soon in "User Rides"

Reply #20
To quote Jack Hidley from Maximum Motorsports:

[COLOR="Blue"]"If you measure from the center of the upper hole in the strut ear to the shoulder of the shaft at the top, the distance should be 17.16" when the strut is fully extended. This is the same measurement for all OEM 87-93 Fox struts. An OEM SN95 strut measures 18.67".

You should ignore the length of anything below the upper strut hole. None of this affects the available bump or droop travel. It will only determine if the strut fits in the car without hitting the control arm or spindle."[/COLOR]

With that said the Fox struts are what you want to use with a lowered car as the SN95 may bottom out and that will cause an upset condition with the suspension.  I have the Fox struts on my 83 and they work really well.

Darren

Reply #21
Washers work well,and they do sell spacers specifically for that spindle swap,but for ease and convenience,use the thick washers.Good luck.Glad to hear you're making good progress.I'm slacking bad.I have got to get busy getting the Sport's needs taken care of.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #22
Quote from: Aerocoupe;328749
To quote Jack Hidley from Maximum Motorsports:

[COLOR="Blue"]"If you measure from the center of the upper hole in the strut ear to the shoulder of the shaft at the top, the distance should be 17.16" when the strut is fully extended. This is the same measurement for all OEM 87-93 Fox struts. An OEM SN95 strut measures 18.67".

You should ignore the length of anything below the upper strut hole. None of this affects the available bump or droop travel. It will only determine if the strut fits in the car without hitting the control arm or spindle."[/COLOR]

With that said the Fox struts are what you want to use with a lowered car as the SN95 may bottom out and that will cause an upset condition with the suspension.  I have the Fox struts on my 83 and they work really well.

Darren

Good stuff, thanks Darren.  Sounds like I'm on track.

Jack is the guy that helped me pick up my T56 in SF, Ca.  Really nice guy.  Genius too.

Thanks Vinnie.  It's nice to see it looking like a car again.

Reply #23
some of the moneroe shocks come with spacer plates  one on each side of the strut

also if doing this swap on a 4 cyl mustang, the T-bird TC and Mustang GT,spindles have a diffrent strut bolt space than the TC/GT bolt space

I did this swap also, on my 85 TC, I Used 88 mustang cross drilled rotors on the 87/88 TC hubs

the only diffrence I could find between the 88 Mustang GT rotors and the 87/88 TC rotors was the ABS ring on the inside of the rotor
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Reply #24
Quote from: BogusSVO;328795
the only diffrence I could find between the 88 Mustang GT rotors and the 87/88 TC rotors was the ABS ring on the inside of the rotor

Correct.

The '87-'88 TurboCoupe 11" front brake system is for all intents and purposes the same as the '87-'93 Fox Mustang GT and LX5.0 11" front brakes except for the obvious ABS components. It's also worth a mention that SOME Lincoln Mark 7 rotors can be fit onto these spindles for an 11", 5 lug setup, but some wheels will not fit correctly over the spindle ...

You can use TC spindles, or Mustang V8 spindles, either TC or V8 Stang rotors, independently of each other, they're all dimensionally the same.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #25
birds and stang 5.0 have same strut #s. I checked!
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

Reply #26
Quote from: BogusSVO;328795

also if doing this swap on a 4 cyl mustang, the T-bird TC and Mustang GT,spindles have a diffrent strut bolt space than the TC/GT bolt space

What?:D
Mike

Reply #28
Read the link that hypostang posted as it elaborates more on the strut fitment.

xjeffs,
What year car is yours?

Darren

Reply #29
Quote from: Aerocoupe;329152
Read the link that hypostang posted as it elaborates more on the strut fitment.

xjeffs,
What year car is yours?

Darren

88 Cougar XR7.