Skip to main content
Topic: '85 T-5 (Read 1084 times) previous topic - next topic

'85 T-5

On Saturday, my new T-5 from an '85 TC will be going into my '87 TC (previously an automatic).  The '83-'86 TCs were 155 hp, I believe. Does this mean the tranny is weaker than a '87-'88 T-5?  Or perhaps was it the same tranny?  Thanks for the info.

'85 T-5

Reply #1
same tranny, gear ratios may be slightly differant. But you shouldnt tell a diff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

'85 T-5

Reply #2
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87
same tranny, gear ratios may be slightly differant. But you shouldnt tell a diff.

Anyone wanna second that?

The reason I ask, is the main reason I'm swapping tranny's is because I broke the A4LD (too much boost...).  SO, I wanna make sure that this one will handle the power.  I thought maybe it was weaker since the '83-'86 TCs had less power.

'85 T-5

Reply #3
Do you have the ID tag from the trans? 

According to most info
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/transmission_spec.htm

The 85 T5 will be a NWC trans and the 87 was a WC.  The gear ratios are different.  Check the ID code to be certain what you have.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

'85 T-5

Reply #5
I would think it would be OK, aren't the so-called "world class" 2.3 trannies rated for less torque than a stock 2.3 puts down anyway? Just like how a 5.0 T5 is only rated for 300 ft-lbs which is what a 5.0 makes stock.

Just don't forget to swap over the electronic speedo drive.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip