Skip to main content
Topic: '85 TBird linkage question (Read 1574 times) previous topic - next topic

'85 TBird linkage question

Hello,

'85 carb 302 with AOD.

On the old CFI setup there were 3 existing linkages, One was the AOD kickdown rod, the next was the throttle cable and riding on the throttle cable is what looks like it is a cruise control cable? I am not locating any info on this piggy back cable on the throttle cable. It looks to be running to the driver side fender and possibly into the passenger compartment.
Is there any step directions to setup for this 3rd linkage, if it is a cruise control cabling. it's been hard enough locating instructions for the kickdown rod adjustment, but I think I may have that figured out maybe.

X

I also wanted to ask concerning trany pressures on the AOD setup. From what I have gathered, I need to warm the car up, put in in neutral and have my pressure gauge installed...which I do.
X
and to adjust the rod to where I have 5psi or less at idle. Closer to "0", the better. After adjusting, the pressure should come up to 35psi immediately with a hit on the throttle. I heard that it should also climb up to about 80psi when pushing throttle down harder. Then when it returns to idle, it should again be less then 5psi. I'm sure there will be minor adjusting when at this point on.
It is so hard to locate any info on the rod version for the AOD, though it seems that it is the easier route to take when adjustment is concerned.  Correct me if I am wrong on anything I mentioned.
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #1
From the 84 shop manual:
Put a 10mm drill  bit shank between the TV adjusting screw and the throttle lever and adjust for 35 psi. It should go to less than 5 psi with the drill bit out.

Reply #2
Dang windows 10. unrotates posts.

Reply #3
The cruise control servo is located under the L fender on the door pillar. If you need to get to it should be able to do so by removing the wheel liner.

Reply #4
Quote from: BradMph;454612
Is there any step directions to setup for this 3rd linkage, if it is a cruise control cabling. it's been hard enough locating instructions for the kickdown rod adjustment, but I think I may have that figured out maybe.

84 shop manual:

Reply #5
Thank you very much softtouch and Bodyman for the info. Especially Softtouch for posting manual pages. I suppose that the same idea of adjustment for the TV rod on a CFI will do for an Edelbrock carb as well?
Also the throttle control.

I'll cross reference the adjustments from your manual pages to my aftermarket carb, which should be the same idea used in either case.

Thank you again.  :D
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106