Skip to main content
Topic: Needed: Circuit Jumper Wiring Assembly (Read 1086 times) previous topic - next topic

Needed: Circuit Jumper Wiring Assembly

Reply #15
It's really not hard....Had the same thing happen about 2 years ago.  Bad ground + bad connection = smelly under hood.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=15895
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #16
Quote from: jcassity;304915
how did you do that?

You asking me?
I searched electrical tech for "3G", and scanned through the thread starters till I saw DMC24guy.
I remember when it happened, and I have a thing with names lol...

That thread is an interesting read in it's own write. (pun intended, lol).

Back to topic fellas! :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #17
As you requested, here's a pic with the rubber sleeve cut off - and it's just a couple wires smashed together like you said!  Also in the picture I included a couple butt connectors, will one of these work to re-connect the wiring after I hack it up?? I just hope I have enough usable wire! 
Thanks guys

Reply #18
this and all other fuse link splices are very important connections.

leaving them to the chance of a mechanical connection is going to cause risk later on with respect to unexpected events costing you time.

if i were you,,, i would solder per below.

Buy some solder flux (do not buy into the fact that solder has flux in it.
flatten out all your exposed conductors
add solder flux to each exposed wiring
group all your wires overlapping about 1''
clamp down on two spots of all the wiring with 2 needle nose pliers (these will absorbe all the heat from your torch preventing your wiring insulation from shrinking up.
heat up wiring in between the two needle nose pliers.
when solder flux starts to bubble, add solder to the copper not exposed to flame.
the solder should wick into and in between all layers of copper strands.

quickly wipe off the greasy look off the solder job the flux may have left behind.
quickly slide your heat strink into place insuring it overllaps the insulation on each end so no exposed wires are present.
the heat shrink should shrink up around the copper and possiblly on the rubber wire ends.

add another layer of heat shrink and use torch to make it shrink.

done.

Reply #19
Impressive instructions and diagram, helps a ton!  If you ever need any custom vinyl graphics for your car let me know - I'll do it for the cost of the vinyl and shipping since you've been such a great help, jcassity.

Reply #21
Go ahead Jcassity, for a while there, I was kinda thinking that I was the only guy who still solders any more..... Butt connectors are fine and dandy here and there, but most all the wiring I do, I solder, especially if there's any chance it's gonna get wet or have moisture around it anytime. If you look closely at his last picture, you can see that there is still some corrosion still on the wire that he's gonna butt splice together. Should have cleaned it off with a wire brush, and then put dielectric grease on it before the butt connector, If you have to do it, do it right.......

Reply #22
ok,, got it fixed.

replaced the open 16awg wire
removed the next lower black splice cover
installed (red) new 16awg , sorry but red is all i had

grouped the upper section of 3 in and 1 out with a 6awg burndy barrel splice and crimped all coated with flux.  heated up splice and silver soldered.  washed off with alcahol.  added 3m rubber 600v splice tape (kind that activates a glue when you stretch it), slid 600v clear heat shrink in place and shrunk it.  Added more 3m tape over that.

next, moved to lower splice where there are 2 wires in and 1 16awg wire out.
repeated process above.

looks good, boxed up and going in the mail monday by the wife.  stuck in some No oxide compound and a few zip ties.

Took main connector apart and cleaned all the contacts there since the connector had tail tail signs of corrosion especially on the pin associated with the open 16awg fuse link.

The original fuse link connections are cad welded so you lost a total of 1'' on your harness and thats all. 

The zip ties are for a couple reasons.  I noticed you  broke off your clips so when you put it back together, use a zip tie to wrap around both the male/female connector longwasy to keep the connector closed.  you have to fish it in between the wires but around the whole connector.

I zip tied the fuse link block back onto the red 16awg wire but you can get rid of it if you want.  I just thought it would be a good idea to place it back on its associated wire since it dospoogeents the oem fuse link size.  just cut the ties and remove the tape on either end and it come off. Its the one I had to slit long ways to pry off.

scott

Reply #23
I did away with that connector and hard-wired everything together.  The connector was brittle and starting to crack.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #24
i have scotch locks ideal for that type of stuff, they allow for max of two isolated in/out wires.  they are about 1'' long and full of anti corrosion compoud.  just snap em shut

scroll down and its the blue oval button one called a full pair / drop pair inline.

works pretty good on most applications, but they are kinda bulky.
I havent found these in a larger size than 16awg though.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Telecom/Home/Products/Products/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20O4M7_nid=NZW3RHPDRDbeDP16W8FB2Ngl

Reply #25
I had actually looked into replacing it with the GM style weatherpack connectors made by MSD, but the price was simply not worth it considering how small of a run those wires are.

Reply #26
Wow Scott -

This looks great!  Thanks so much, can't wait to get it installed and the Cougar back up and running - without having to worry about my lack of electrical knowledge!  That's a good idea about the connector - I hate taking them apart anymore because they break every time I do.  I'll zip tie/electrical tape it for now, it would be nice if somebody would re-pop them though!  Thanks again,

Jason

Reply #27
thanks man
you really cant beat the cad welds under those rubber blocks.

i looked at them under a one of my work scopes i use to check cad welds on ground rings,, really good bond.  be assured that the weakest link in there is the fuse link.

now that i have introduced soldered / cirmped joints,, that may change.  I am not really sure why ford went with the cad weld,, now that i think about it more and more, its likely i am right and that it puts all the current on the smaller wire.

i am  sure you are good to go though,, id run with it.