Skip to main content
Topic: Long live hydrocarbon fuels....long live hot rods..long live old school fun (Read 5837 times) previous topic - next topic

Long live hydrocarbon fuels....long live hot rods..long live old school fun

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/a-brave-new-world-of-fossil-fuels-on-demand/article1871149/

Fun-fact-calculation-someone-else-did!!! ----> 14,000 square miles of land needed to meet 7 billion barrels a year (U.S. usage)

The state of New Jersey is 9,000 square miles.

Hell. Yes.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
My name is David and I approve this message!!

another forum Im a part of has a spot next to the name where you list your car. mine says "My Ride:burns what your hybrid saves"
1974 Cougar XR7, 351 C, stock. white leather.
1983 Coug' LS-XR7-1/ A/c Delete, Edlebrock Intake, Holley 600 4bbl, Custom Badging, True dual Glasspacks
1989 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, 3.8L bone stock winter beater, in Gold

Reply #3
Wow! Who knows how this is gonna play out, the big oil companies aren't gonna like this. That said, new companies are gonna jump on this. They could undercut the foreign oil companies in a major way, and still make profit like no one's business! They just gotta buy a chunk of land out in the middle of nowhere and let these guys do their thing. A dollar per gallon? YES PLEASE.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #4
new mexico has lots of open land!!  lol

Reply #5
I dare say they're getting into dangerous territory here though. If their current undertaking proves a success, the oil companies are going to lose a lot of money. Not right away, but give it about 10-15 years and they'll be all but obsolete. I'm sure they realize this. That means they've got two options. Either buy into this technology now, or kill it before it becomes big. And so far they seem to have chosen option number 2 with pretty much every new gas saving technology before it. I've heard stories of small groups coming up with alternatives like this receiving serious (legal) threats from oil companies. Anyone here remember water electrolysis/hydrogen assist? What about the PICC? I'm just saying. I really hope something comes from this though. I don't think even with all the new electric cars and blah blah blah, that hot rods were ever really going to disappear. And this would be awesome cause cars and trucks will still be using gas 50 years from now either way.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #6
Allow me to be the cynic by stating that I'll believe it when I see it. If this is even close to true you'll see big oil kill the technology not by buying up patents but by making oil so cheap the new technology becomes non-viable. Just like they always do and have always done. If oil had been at ~$90/barrel for the past 20 years we likely wouldn't have been using it presently...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
Quote from: ZondaC12;350780
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/a-brave-new-world-of-fossil-fuels-on-demand/article1871149/

Fun-fact-calculation-someone-else-did!!! ----> 14,000 square miles of land needed to meet 7 billion barrels a year (U.S. usage)

The state of New Jersey is 9,000 square miles.

Hell. Yes.

But if you use New Jersey, where will all the folks from NYC park?

If you tell a New Yorker there's light at the end of the tunnel, they get more depressed. After all, it's New Jersey.

I'm going to have to stick with Carm on this one ..
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #8
Personally I don't give a rat's ass what fuel costs...relatively speaking of course, like any overarching statement like that (if you don't wanna sound like a bumbling idiot, THOUGH I am LOL). I'm just glad to know that if the day comes that we truly dry the earth's supply of oil right up, this will provide it by the same process the "real stuff" came into being in the first place, just much faster. And sure biofuels will be around, but it would better preserve the originality of cars like my '38 Buick, other antique cars even older than that thing, namely the rare high dollar extreme luxury marques that can never be replaced. I'd hate to have to convert it to run on pure alcohol. It wouldn't sit right with me at all.

But back to my very first statement, whatever business does with technology is what it is. The market will shove them in the direction they can best profit and unfortunately due to trading oil is volatile. It sucks but if I have to work harder/more to pay to play with my toys, so be it. If I have to play less frequently, so be it! That will make the fewer cruises that more special. At the same time, I'm sick of hearing these crystal ball claims of $4 or $8 or $300 a gallon by spring/summer/Memorial Day/the next time Hollow-wood recycles a movie AGAIN because they're out of ideas AGAIN. A couple years ago people said "oh man it might be $10 a gallon soon". And then I paid $1.50 a gallon for a month straight or something the winter of my junior year of college I think. Winter of 2008-2009? Maybe it was last winter. People, stop trying to predict the  future! :rollin:

Regardless, if it gets killed, the guy gets bought out/captured/imprisoned like all of the old wives' tales, BFD. I'm glad someone has FOUND the way to do it, and if it's needed someday, they will be let out of their jail cell and will show us how to roll our own. :)
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane