Skip to main content
Topic: Spruce Mica on my '87 T-bird? (Read 2548 times) previous topic - next topic

Spruce Mica on my '87 T-bird?

I'm trying to decide on what color to paint my '87 T-bird, when that project comes to fruition (~2070 at my current pace :hick:). While touring the Camry plant a few years ago in Georgetown, KY I saw this striking metallic green. Turns out it is called Spruce Mica. It's a darker metallic green that almost seems to change to black depending on the lighting. Google Image Search

I love the color, but am worried it won't work on an older car. The only non-Toyota I've seen with Spruce Mica is a C5 corvette, and that guy had terrible photograph skills.

Thoughts on Spruce Mica?

Reply #1
Pretty color. Do what is good for you. I let my wife choose the color on the Sport. That's a great shade of green, and different from the rest of the Birds you'll see. I like it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
It's a little too Blingy for my taste with that much metal flake in it. Reduce the flake in that color, and I would rock that on my LTD. It doesn't really matter what any of us think though, it's your car, and you have to look at it everyday. So, you always gotta go with what your feelin for the car though regardless of what opinion might be.

I am a big fan of green, and all things green though :) , and ended up going with Midnight Green Metallic for my bird, which turns from Med-Dark slightly blingy Green in the sunlight, to Medium Grey in low light conditions, and then to Deep Gloss Black at night. I love the color, makes me want to stare at my car for long awkward periods of time, lol.

Reply #3
Both the wife and I love that color. I'm going to do a color change on her Camary with it.
I'd say if you like it, then do it.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #4
I was wavering because I'm pretty conservative appearance-wise, and while I think Spruce Mica is the bees knees on the Toyotas I've seen. I guess I'll nut up and go with it whenver I get around to paint!

The Spruce Mica was a pretty rare color for Camrys. There are two productions lines at the plant in Georgetown, KY, but only one of the lines would run Spruce Mica. Even then, they did so at infrequent intervals. Quite surprising I even saw that color on my tour!

Reply #5
IIRC, that color was only available on the Camary Hybrids, as far as Camary's goes anyway.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #7
That's weird. :hick: Cause when we were building one on the Toyota web-site, we couldn't select it because it was designated only for the Hybrids. Not that it matters anyway :D
I think your car would look good that color. :evilgrin:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #9
My buddy has the Spruce Mica on his Tundra. We were just admiring it in the bright sun. Whole lotta flake in it. Nice color, but I'm more for Blue anyway. I'm sure it would look great though.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #10
The Dark Highland Green Metallic is nice, but for whatever reason I like the Spruce Mica better. Maybe it's all the flake!

Reply #11
It actually doesn't have any metallic at all. The sparkle comes from the "Mica" which is the PT32.

1190141-  ATX STD                                               
1010072-  ATX STBLE GR                                         
1010012-  ATX STRNG BLK                                       
1010053-  ATX PTHLO BLU                                       
1010055-  ATX PTH GR BL                                       
1214033-  ATX GLD PRL 4                                       
PT32-      SUNBEAM GOLD                                       
1214423-  ATX MICRO WH                                       
1500151-  ATX NR Med BC

It's still a very nice color :D something like a candy green, just not quite as deep.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #12
After that paintjob is done, throw some 14's on it, and you will fit right in with the Low-Rider crowd!

Reply #13
Quote from: Big B;414363
After that paint job is done, throw some 14's on it, and you will fit right in with the Low-Rider crowd!

Na he won't, unless that is he adds the BIG flakes like from fishing boats. :toilet:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #14
Quote from: Big B;414363
After that paintjob is done, throw some 14's on it, and you will fit right in with the Low-Rider crowd!

Our cars came with 14s, lol